Automotive Smells.

Members dont see this ad

When someone spills the bong water on the carpet and the seat.

:lolcry: Er, um, er, no, I don't know what your talking about officer.

However I can top it.

Years ago a mate of mine was involved a incident on Christmas Eve(not a car accident) on the way home for Christmas.

He was taken to hospital. The Police took his car.

At the end of February the Police told my friend to come get his car. As he still couldn't drive, I went with him.

Now, the car had been sitting at the Police impound, in the sun for around 2 months, with the windows up.

On the back seat was a large esky. In the esky was all the stuff for a typical Christmas. Milk, Chicken, Ham and seafood.

I opened the drivers side door and HOLY CRAP the smell!. The Policeman, my friend, the RACQ fella, we all bolted away from the car, gaging.

I went to the shop and bought 10 of those "little tree" air freshners, a Vicks vapour stick (to shove up my nose), and a tin of Glen 20. Didn't work.

I drove the car home, my mate (the owner) caught a cab (from South Brisbane to Browns Plains).

Didn't even attempt to open the esky either. The first industrial bin I found on the way home, it got dumped.

I stripped the interior of this car, seats, carpet, underfelt, roof lining, doorcards and replaced the lot.

Didn't work. Every time I got in this car all I could smell was that esky.

It's one of those things that is now imprinted into my sinuses. Everyone told me the car smelt fine after I was finished with it but, it's not what my nose was telling me.

Edited by clubby2084

Had a similar thing once mate.

My mum had this little red hyundai acent for a few years.

I borrowed it once for a week while my car was in the shop, which was cool causemum works from home.

Anyhow, when I picked it up, mum was going on some special diet and despite me saying I didnt want it, she insisted on sending me home with the dairy products from the fridge, which consisted of thickened cream and yoghurt. I refused it so mum left it on the back seat floor and said, grab that out when you get home. Of course I did not.

So I used the car for a day or 2, got mine back and parked up the accent. At the end of the week I got in it to drive it home to mums and of course you know what had happened, the cream and yoghurt had popped and despite being in a platic bag, they managed to seep rotten dairy juices into the carpet, and now forever after each time I got in that car, I could smell the rancid milk products.

Seriously i like the smell of carby cleaner

This, I love the smell of Nulon carby and throttle body cleaner.

Japanese import interior smell. I've no idea what it comes from, but most of them seem to have it. Silvia still has it despite the interior being stripped out.

I don't think the smell itself is particularly special (just unique to a group of cars), just the memories and experiences now associated with it :)

Dunno about you but it smells like someone has been sitting in there wih a cigar, worst one was recently in an Estima that would get worse with the cabin fan on, we ended up looking at the cabin filter and changing it as it was green.

I kinda like straight methanol. Mmm Formaldehyde - carcinogenic'y!

Want me to put a little bit in a sniffer bottle for you? :laff:

This is very true...

"it smells like japan"...

i have a feeling its something to do with the cleaning process as they bring them through customs.

yea it does. used to work fr toyota on the ports of auckland and its the same stuff they use in porsches.

can't be anything worse than melting smoking speaker wire hahaha, the days of being young and thinking itl be ok

So I used the car for a day or 2, got mine back and parked up the accent. At the end of the week I got in it to drive it home to mums and of course you know what had happened, the cream and yoghurt had popped and despite being in a platic bag, they managed to seep rotten dairy juices into the carpet, and now forever after each time I got in that car, I could smell the rancid milk products.

That's a crook smell. Not only does it imprint into the carpet, but the smell is absorbed by everything in the car.

Pretty sure mythbusters did a dead pig in the corvette in the heat for a month and they striped the car and could not get rid of the smell..

Yeah, I saw that episode. :yak:

I have to say I was more than a bit dirty on the Police for leaving this esky on the back seat. They warned my friend of the smell when they rang him to come get it. They warned us again when we got there.

Why someone didn't remove it after they were done inspecting the car is beyond me.

They had in effect ruined a perfectly good car.