February 28, 201214 yr comment_587216 Hey Hey, On my way home today i was driving my 4wd in a lane that was ending and i had to merge right. I indicated my intentions to merge right and a E series falcon speed up and took the gap. I had to either cut her off or go up the gutter and into a power pole so i cut her off and merged right, I didn't have enough stopping room to brake and stop so i made my choice. Who is at fault ? Me for cutting her off or her for speeding up ? She swore, screamed and carried on. Also took a photo of my car as i was watching her in my rear view mirror. I kindly flipped her off whilst she had her phone out. Des ;) Report
February 28, 201214 yr comment_587217 her speeding up i imagine because you have no room to brake to slow down to wait for another gap to enter.. so my opinion would her fault. :| Report
February 28, 201214 yr comment_587218 note:The majority of australian drivers are complete and utter selfish ignorant idiots who are not at all interested (or have the understanding) on how to keep traffic flowing by allowing others to merge in, by slowing down slightly or monouvering their cars to create gaps in traffic. I've had that happen to me many times, they carry on like a moron, hit the gas, over take, and procede to do the exact same thing at the next merge. i thought the letter of the law stated that whoever was infront had right of way, in reality it is everyones responsibility to be aware of their surroundings and make merging smooth....i can't see that happening any time soon though. Report
February 28, 201214 yr comment_587219 Technically speaking, the left lane that ends always has to give way. That being said, a bit of common courtesy doesn't go astray... For instance if you're in a slow as buggery Pajero that is obviously struggling to match speed she could have made her move forward a bit earlier, or hung back and let you in. Edited February 28, 201214 yr by 7shades Report
February 28, 201214 yr Author comment_587221 I thought as much. Common courtesy doesn't exist any more. Report
February 28, 201214 yr Author comment_587224 It does when you're in 120 tonnes of Volvo FH16 It doesn't when you're in a 1.5 tonnes of Pajero. Even when i was driving the 4 tonner trucks for star track people wouldn't give me room to reverse into drive ways or swing wide so i didn't have to run up gutters. I hate traffic and especially South Brisbane. Report
February 28, 201214 yr comment_587229 Like said people have no courtesy, I wouldn't worry about it unless it had anything to do with an insurance claim. Report
February 28, 201214 yr comment_587231 Okay. The above is what is referred to as a "lane end" situation. Thus you are moving from one lane to another, and MUST give way to any and all traffic in the lane that you are moving into. If the white lines just stoped at the end of the long white lines, ie, no short white lines in the above picture, then a "merge will occur. This operates on the V8 supercar rule. If you are in front, you have right of way. The big question is: What were the road markings at this point? Report
February 28, 201214 yr comment_587232 +1 for Redwarf's explanation,that is also my understanding. Now,having said that,I absolutely hate it when I see people speeding up to take the space in a merge situation like that and have been known to force my way in,not proud of it but sometimes enough is enough!!! Report
February 28, 201214 yr comment_587238 Sometimes it's handy to have the power there. Makes it easy to merge. Report
February 28, 201214 yr comment_587253 I agree she should have been courteous. I know it's not always possible and no offence intended, but a little foresight also goes a long way. Report
February 28, 201214 yr Author comment_587268 I agree she should have been courteous. I know it's not always possible and no offence intended, but a little foresight also goes a long way. Foresight is impossible when she guns it to not let me in, But i see what your saying and i should have made my move earlier. She seemed like a ragaholic and she was full of ragahole. :lolcry: Report
February 28, 201214 yr comment_587302 Although that illustration seems to explain alot, By the sounds of it Des, you signalled well in advanced with your intentions, courtesy would be nice She took a photo of your car, what exactly is she going to do with it, put it on boostloosing and rave on about you? haha You made a decision, be confident of this, and let raggity ann up back carry on like a pork chop, she sounds like an accident waiting to happen, steer clear of that car for future Report
Please sign in to comment
You will be able to leave a comment after signing in
Sign In Now