Who'S At Fault

Des

Hey Hey,

On my way home today i was driving my 4wd in a lane that was ending and i had to merge right. I indicated my intentions to merge right and a E series falcon speed up and took the gap. I had to either cut her off or go up the gutter and into a power pole so i cut her off and merged right, I didn't have enough stopping room to brake and stop so i made my choice.

Who is at fault ? Me for cutting her off or her for speeding up ?

She swore, screamed and carried on. Also took a photo of my car as i was watching her in my rear view mirror. I kindly flipped her off whilst she had her phone out.

Des ;)

Members dont see this ad

note:The majority of australian drivers are complete and utter selfish ignorant idiots who are not at all interested (or have the understanding) on how to keep traffic flowing by allowing others to merge in, by slowing down slightly or monouvering their cars to create gaps in traffic.

I've had that happen to me many times, they carry on like a moron, hit the gas, over take, and procede to do the exact same thing at the next merge.

i thought the letter of the law stated that whoever was infront had right of way, in reality it is everyones responsibility to be aware of their surroundings and make merging smooth....i can't see that happening any time soon though.

Technically speaking, the left lane that ends always has to give way.

left-lane-ends.jpg

That being said, a bit of common courtesy doesn't go astray... For instance if you're in a slow as buggery Pajero that is obviously struggling to match speed she could have made her move forward a bit earlier, or hung back and let you in.

Edited by 7shades

It does when you're in 120 tonnes of Volvo FH16

It doesn't when you're in a 1.5 tonnes of Pajero. Even when i was driving the 4 tonner trucks for star track people wouldn't give me room to reverse into drive ways or swing wide so i didn't have to run up gutters. I hate traffic and especially South Brisbane.

left-lane-ends.jpg

Okay. The above is what is referred to as a "lane end" situation. Thus you are moving from one lane to another, and MUST give way to any and all traffic in the lane that you are moving into.

If the white lines just stoped at the end of the long white lines, ie, no short white lines in the above picture, then a "merge will occur. This operates on the V8 supercar rule. If you are in front, you have right of way.

The big question is: What were the road markings at this point?

• Upvote 1

+1 for Redwarf's explanation,that is also my understanding. Now,having said that,I absolutely hate it when I see people speeding up to take the space in a merge situation like that and have been known to force my way in,not proud of it but sometimes enough is enough!!!

I agree she should have been courteous. I know it's not always possible and no offence intended, but a little foresight also goes a long way.

Foresight is impossible when she guns it to not let me in, But i see what your saying and i should have made my move earlier.

She seemed like a ragaholic and she was full of ragahole. :lolcry:

Although that illustration seems to explain alot,

By the sounds of it Des, you signalled well in advanced with your intentions, courtesy would be nice

She took a photo of your car, what exactly is she going to do with it, put it on boostloosing and rave on about you? haha

You made a decision, be confident of this, and let raggity ann up back carry on like a pork chop, she sounds like an accident waiting to happen, steer clear of that car for future

• Upvote 1