swampgarage

After the sudden death of my T18 last year, I was left with a void in my life and a brown spot in my lawn that could only be filled by another corolla. I wanted a car to compete in khanacross events that could make use of our stockpile of surplus ae86 and te72 parts. Then this showed up. Perfect!

nannaspec.jpg

It started life as an "S" spec auto ke70 and was converted to 5 speed manual at some stage. It had lain dormant for a while after its duties as a daily driver ended. It was rudely reawakened late last year when a temporary rego permit was slapped on the windscreen and Mr Yoda drove it on one last epic road trip from Brisbane to Cairns.

1ke70arrives-800.jpg

It was revolting, but it made it!

Its days on the road now officially over, I set about getting it race ready. Virtually all of the interior went in the bin and we put in some cheap seats, plywood door trim and Italian leather (and electrical tape) steering wheel. A 12v fan on the dash is the only concession to driver comfort.

interior.jpg

The stock ke70 suspension all went in the bin too.

Up front it now has sigma lower control arms and t18 front struts with rebuilt brakes (larger than ke70 ones). Rear end is a t18 t-series with TRD 2 way lsd, gas struts, TRD ae86 lowering springs and no swaybar.

For off road grip, we used some studded ice tyres on the front and some normal snow tyres on the rear.

stud.jpg

We then took it racing and did a bit of this

rallyspec.jpg

and the exhaust did a bit of this

exhaustmods-800.jpg

and we did some more of this

khana2.jpg

and this

khana1.jpg

and the car came back looking like this

filthy.jpg

It handled really well. Brakes were savage, steering was sharp and the rear slid very predictably. However, it was pathetically slow. We soon found the problem

thereyaprablem.jpg

A filthy 4k! No worries, that's easily fixed.

4kout.jpg

Now, on the front verandah, we had a car containing much of the driveline out of this

organdonor.jpg

So we set about removing all the useful parts

donor.jpg

and as of this evening, our ke70 is now looking like this

4agein.jpg

Just the wiring and fuel tank left to complete. Shouldn't have any problems spinning the tyres on dirt now.

Edited by swampgarage

Members dont see this ad