Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Snapped Head Bolt What To Do!

Featured Replies

So here's the low down I bought a ke70 all was fine and dandy until a couple days after she overheated one day so I turned her off and popped the cap off (with plenty of rags under my hands) filled her back up made my way home checked the radiator and it seemed fine but then I thought !@#$ it i will just replace the head gasket as it wouldn't hurt and would fix my problem, as I was undoing the bolts I noticed one was snapped in the block! so my father proceeded to drill the snapped bolt out but made quite a mess ( he drilled too far and made the diameter bigger and more towards the piston) so i am just asking what am I to do? also will my head be warped?

Cheers any feedback or advice will be great

Edited by sterlo

well if a tap and die set don't work, you could pick up another 4k block fairly cheaply, and a new set of head studs wouldnt set you back too much. for the price of mucking around with a tap and die set, and a new bolt to suit i reckon a new block and studs would be a better option. whats to say one of the other studs isnt weakened and could do exactly the same thing down the track?

  • Author

Yeah replacing head studs would be on my parts list for sure, I kind of want to fix the block for the experience and if i was going to replace the block/engine i was just going to get a 4age conversion going I think I might just go that way and try to fix the block out of the car

Sounds like he drilled it off center, so if you use a tap it will be an oval, not a circle. Ideally, toss it away as madKE says & get another block, but if your rings & bearings are really good you could try using it again. Which stud was it??

 

..and you can check the head with a steel ruler and a set of feeler gauges, or have a head shop look at it. If it lost water after it overheated there is a good chance the head is warped, but it could be a leaking pump or other things. The head wouldn't warp by itself, there is usually another reason why it loses water and the over-heating warps the head.

  • Author

It was the 3 stud from piston 1 exhaust and intake side, when I took the head off the bolt was already snapped off so that's what I thought caused the water to be leaking.

Fair enough, you'd be dead right if there was no other sign of it dripping water. The usual water leakage is between cyl 2 and 3, that's where the head lifts off when its warped.

 

You might get an engineer to machine it out to the next bolt size then helicoil it back to standard, that would solve the off-centerness of the current hole. I'm not sure if that would be cheaper than grabbing another block.

  • Author

Yeah might be best just to grab another engine!

cheers for the help

If your in brisbane i have an engine for cheap would probably suit reco to be safe but was running strong

  • Author

If only I was, thanks anyway

you can fill the hole full of quick steel, re-drill and re-tap the tread, ive done that to one of my 4k blocks, still going strong after 5 years!

 

cheers!

Forget using Heli-coils try Timeserts much easier & stronger.

  • Author

What about quick steel with a Timeserts inserted to get it on center? or would you just recommend taking the block out quick steeling it an then re drilling?

  • Author

Here's some pics

post-14170-0-45375700-1358040419_thumb.jpg

post-14170-0-84126400-1358040505_thumb.jpg

If you could get the hole centered, then drill it larger, tap and locktite in a bolt twice as large, then drill the bolt to the orginal size.

Like a time sert, but on a larger scale.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.