Snapped Head Bolt What To Do!

sterlo

So here's the low down I bought a ke70 all was fine and dandy until a couple days after she overheated one day so I turned her off and popped the cap off (with plenty of rags under my hands) filled her back up made my way home checked the radiator and it seemed fine but then I thought !@#$ it i will just replace the head gasket as it wouldn't hurt and would fix my problem, as I was undoing the bolts I noticed one was snapped in the block! so my father proceeded to drill the snapped bolt out but made quite a mess ( he drilled too far and made the diameter bigger and more towards the piston) so i am just asking what am I to do? also will my head be warped?

Cheers any feedback or advice will be great

Edited by sterlo

Members dont see this ad

well if a tap and die set don't work, you could pick up another 4k block fairly cheaply, and a new set of head studs wouldnt set you back too much. for the price of mucking around with a tap and die set, and a new bolt to suit i reckon a new block and studs would be a better option. whats to say one of the other studs isnt weakened and could do exactly the same thing down the track?

Yeah replacing head studs would be on my parts list for sure, I kind of want to fix the block for the experience and if i was going to replace the block/engine i was just going to get a 4age conversion going I think I might just go that way and try to fix the block out of the car

Sounds like he drilled it off center, so if you use a tap it will be an oval, not a circle. Ideally, toss it away as madKE says & get another block, but if your rings & bearings are really good you could try using it again. Which stud was it??

..and you can check the head with a steel ruler and a set of feeler gauges, or have a head shop look at it. If it lost water after it overheated there is a good chance the head is warped, but it could be a leaking pump or other things. The head wouldn't warp by itself, there is usually another reason why it loses water and the over-heating warps the head.

Fair enough, you'd be dead right if there was no other sign of it dripping water. The usual water leakage is between cyl 2 and 3, that's where the head lifts off when its warped.

You might get an engineer to machine it out to the next bolt size then helicoil it back to standard, that would solve the off-centerness of the current hole. I'm not sure if that would be cheaper than grabbing another block.