Victorian Motorkhana Championship 2013

carbonboy

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

So, Round 8 is coming up next weekend, Sunday the 15th of September at the Mt Gambier Saleyards, Princess Hwy, Glenburnie. For a Google Maps Location, please click here. For the Entry Forms/Supp Regs, please click here.

Work's quiet & the budget's quite tight lately, so the motel room option is off the cards & I will be tenting it up again!

:wub: Motorsport :wub:

Edited by carbonboy

• 2 weeks later...

Once again, Blue Thing was my transportation, accommodation & race-car. I have a sneaking suspicion the fuel pump isn't too healthy anymore, but I made it home. Without a Civic to chase, I was left with a Nissan Pulsar. You know your chances aren't so great of beating him when you hear "I should do okay on this test, I designed it.". :blinks: Experience counts, even with tests I was doing for the first time & mistakes he made, he was probably an average of 3 seconds faster on each test.

A few half-decent shots I managed on the day.

post-5437-0-73646900-1379291352_thumb.jpg post-5437-0-16729300-1379291460_thumb.jpg

post-5437-0-49484600-1379291389_thumb.jpg post-5437-0-71071400-1379291425_thumb.jpg

Not what I'd expect at a motorkhana event, certainly not being driven by someone my age, if not younger!

post-5437-0-95528600-1379291504_thumb.jpg post-5437-0-22358300-1379291372_thumb.jpg

This Soarer impressed me the most, big car? No problem! The guy in the X-series Falcon...not so much...

A close second in the impressive stakes, a Barina Turbo. You didn't have time to make hairdresser/hairdryer jokes as it was bloody fast!

All the usual in-car footage & other videos can be found here:

Results are in! It's a bit of a mixed bag as technically we VMC people weren't directly competing against the SEAC people due to class definition differences. *cough*needanationalclassdefinition*cough*

But anyway, in the event Outright Results, I placed 24th out of 42. Removing the Specials & sticking to Production Cars, 15th out of 33. Only 20 seconds over 12 tests behind Batch with a WD that cost me 14 seconds, getting there..... ;)

From the VMC part, I placed 14th out of 18 Outright, same same on Handicap, 2nd of 2 in Class A (pwned by Mr BS, a really nice guy!) & Novice I ran solo. Had a ball & made it home without anything breaking.

Stayed tuned for an update, I have a little surprise for y'all coming up in the near future. Something even I didn't see coming. :drevil:

Edited by carbonboy

Had a bit of a moral dilemma, I'd put my hand up to volunteer my assistance as a helper at the Winton 6 Hour event. Turns out VMC Round 9 is on the same day (being 100% organised isn't my strong point), what to do, what to do...

Round 9 of the NGK VMC will be held on Sunday the 20th of October, at the PAC Grounds in Pakenham. For a Google Maps link please click here & for Entry Forms/Supp Regs, please click here. It will be the first dirt event since I lowered Blue Thing, so it'll be interesting to see how things go. Pakenham doesn't have the random rocks of Werribee, but there's still a pothole or three! :)

Many competitors do run either an LSD or a locked diff, but there are those of us running against them with open centres/non-lsd gearboxes. I'd love one in Blue Thing, the thing is, they're worth more than the whole car! :laff:

Classes for VMC are:

Class A: Production Cars: up to 2450 mm wheelbase (2WD, Engine Over Drive or Mid Engined)

Class B: Production Cars: up to 2450 mm wheelbase (2WD, Engine Away from Drive)

Class C: Production Cars: 2451 mm & over wheelbase (2WD, Engine Over Drive or Mid Engined)

Class D: Production Cars: 2451 mm & over wheelbase (2WD, Engine Away from Drive)

Class E: Production Cars: AWD or 4WD

Class F: Specials

• 4 weeks later...

Stayed tuned for an update, I have a little surprise for y'all coming up in the near future. Something even I didn't see coming. :drevil:

I suppose I had better elaborate on this a little now that things are no longer a secret. Each year, the Toyota Manufacturing Plant in Altona hosts for their employees & their families, what they call their Ekiden Family Day. They hire out the entire leisure centre/rock-climbing facility across the road, there's food everywhere, animals for the kids, the works. It's one of their ways of looking after & saying thankyou to their employees. Okay, I nut-shelled it a bit, but it's a massive event. This is NOT open to the public, however last year the Toyota Car Club of Australia were invited to put on a static display of our Toyotas in their main carpark. Blue Thing did not attend as well...look at her... :lol:

This year we have been invited back again, but the ante has been upped. We will also be putting on a display motorkhana event (supported by CAMS & the VMC Panel) in the main carpark area. We (event drivers by invite-only) will also be taking employees/family members who are brave enough to ride shotgun for exhibition runs. There will be no timing, it's not a competitive event, but it will be the first motorkhana exhibition/display since Albert Park in 1994. I was lucky enough to be invited to be one of the drivers, so Blue Thing & I will be tearing up (metaphorically of course!) Toyotas main carpark in mid-November!

:greenbounce:

Back on topic, Round 9 of the VMC was on yesterday in Pakenham, beautiful weather! I was expecting the majority of the surface to be dirt, with patches of grass here & there. It was long grass everywhere, which concealed the kinda bumpy, potholed surface below. Suffice to say, there was no grip where we were racing, but plenty of it far off course!

1069222_10151725555381943_1290838553_n.jpg

1385388_10151728143981943_909625558_n.jpg

In-car footage can be found here:

I'll apologise in advance for the fish-bowl effect, the surface was so rough & made the footage so shaky I had to let YouTube mess with it so you can actually see what's happening.

Edited by carbonboy

Provisional results came in today, I FINALLY BEAT THE CIVIC!!! Albeit by less than 1 second overall, I don't care, I'll take it! :D I placed 22nd out of 43 Outright, 23rd on Handicap & 10th out of 17 in Class A. Also managed to finish ahead of an AE82 Twin Cam...the grass surface was like rain, levels the playing field. Rear wheel-drive cars did not seem to fare too well.

Action photo courtesy of Mr BS.

post-5437-0-06513400-1382512079_thumb.jpg

P.S - I now officially qualify for an "I beat Batch" t-shirt too, he may have been giving Henry a shakedown run but I'll take it! :y:

I'm not going to go & get too far ahead of myself, but it does inspire a little confidence for Round 10. This will now be at Werribee on the 24th of November as Sandown's carpark is.....a little worse for wear after the heavy machinery used for track resurfacing had a crack at it. I'll put up Supp Regs etc when I get ahold of them.

He's probably more pissed at the number of flags he hit! ;)