Custom Ke 55 Ground Up Restoration.

MIKE KE55

Been keen as Clappedout but been lacking in funds and workspace.

Went for a test run today after sorting out water leaks and installing a water temp sensor. Wired up the thermo fans and didn't overheat while out for a steady cruise, with a permit.

However she didn't like to accelerate without coughing and spluttering on the way back. Not sure if it was the dying battery or if it's low on fuel perhaps.

I'm waiting on the dizzy cap to arrive before dumping it in along with new rotor, leads, plugs coils and wiring I've already picked up.

Tuesday is her debut with the engineer so hopefully the cap arrives already. I'm tempted to whack in one of the two Carter Black pumps I've got for her in case it's pump related. See how much vigor I have after work tomorrow.......

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 pumps means cheap thrills basically. I'm whacking in a surge tank I bought; so 2 pumps it is. The whole engineering I'm doing is ridiculous overkill, and most would say an utter waste of money but it's a lot of fun and fantasising.

I'm currently looking at a $1200 4.1 Ltd Hilux drum to drum purchase from a reco joint in Werribee, Melbourne. Then $1200 from Full Flight Engineering for a housing and axles chop.

What I haven't decided on yet is whether to do a mini or full tub set up. As I have to fabricate off the rear of the car because I'm deleting the rear seat and stock fuel tank I have a small opportunity to tub it while I'm there.

I recycle non-ferrous metal on the side of my hard rubbish HR driving job so money isn't the issue it's time needed to accumulate the scrap. As a consequence the build philosophy is one of total disregard for money.

I've advertised for a ready built diff because I want it all sorted yesterday already.

Sorry I should have mentioned, things went well at the engineers. I felt like the sun was shining straight out of my ass as I drove there. Then I pulled in and saw 3 brand spanking new Ford GT40's and pulled my head in. Lol

He was super nice and we discussed everything as we looked over the car.

There's the usual list of things to do, hilux diff, feinforced tranny brace and engine mounts but overall he didn't baulk at my desires and so half roll cage with spare wheel mounted on it and rally dash, mid mount dry cell battery all passed without a raised eyebrow. 15 inch 5 studs all round and a brake kit from Hoppers Stoppers new nolathane all round and Bob's you're aunty!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...