Extractors On 4K-C?

Rolla-Man

Members dont see this ad

That's a pretty common setup. Check out the Rides section and PM a couple of guys to find out what cam they use and what other work like higher compression they did.

All in all, a cam cut, a good carb and a free-flow exhaust is stage one. To that you could add a lightened flywheel, a head skim and porting, and an electronic dizzy.

• 10 years later...

Old post but question about headers, those 4-1 headers do they need a slight shave to make them work with the 4KC manifold, I used a spare manifold I had laying around one without the egr, when I went to mock up the headers theres is a slight gap in the middle of the headers when it sits against the engine and I also had to shave a bit of the manifold to squeeze the headers in but I think I need to shave the header surface to make it fit better.

The four into one exhaust extractors, obviously have to have "gaps" in the mounting flange, to accommodate the inlet manifold.

image.png.34d694cdfa8fb2c7320411d9559530ca.png

Most manufacturers leave a 'joiner strip" of flange, that keeps all three flanges in the same plane.  This joiner strip, passes under the inlet manifold, as is usually not very wide, so could well "warp" slightly, over time.

You can see them on my 4K engine, which has an EFI manifold from a 7K engine fitted.

4KExtractorJoiners.jpg.2e5f12280f83dc399945bbbaa1efb8e2.jpg

The single biggest problem, I have come across, is the common manifold stud mounting, between inlet & exhaust manifolds.  If these flanges are a different "thickness", then the heavy/thick washer, will not sit flat.  I've fashioned washers over the years, to ensure when the nut is tightened up; that the washer sits flat, & provides equal clamping on both the inlet & exhaust manifold.  Alternatively, you could skim both inlet & exhaust manifold flanges, so that they are the exact same thickness, at the point where the common manifold studs tie down.

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo

Yeah thanks for that I'm not sure if its the brand of extractors I purchased is causing it, or its just the thickness of exhaust flange is different to manifold, I wanted the stainless steel ones so I purchased those, but maybe it would of been better to purchase the hurricane or wildcat brand for ease of fitment.

Screenshot_2024-02-23-12-53-48-36_260528048de7f2f358f0056f785be619.thumb.jpg.48298b803b3cd51da4d84e9f2a034761.jpg

'maybe it would of been better to purchase the hurricane or wildcat brand for ease of fitment. '

Nope, they're just the same.. grind a couple of corners so they fit past the inlet manifold OK, grind a weld back here and there, and cut spring washers in half and glue the halves onto one manifold to make it level with the other...

..and don't use the double manifold gaskets they sell, get a one-piece.

https://www.rollaclub.com/board/topic/42407-the-girls-ke70/

Yeah cool, good to know the ones I purchased are the same, yeah ended up buying the permaseal manifold gasket em30 one piece gasket, I'm waiting for my throttle wheel for my weber 32/36 but been a week hopefully it arrives this weekend, but I might just take my headers off and manifold and do a bench test to see if they sit flat together or needs more modification, as I did use a file to shave abit of the intake manifold to finally squeeze it passed the headers and sit on the block but the only problem was the middle of the headers wasnt sitting flush ill remove from the engine and have to see thanks for the advice.