Building Ultimate 5K

There was also a whisper that 3F landcruiser lifters also worked with 4k stuff but not sure if it was 4k-u or 4k-c stuff.

my bigport which is 1mm shorter than yours is right on the limit of what I'd be happy with(rocker geometry wise).

There was a complete genuine 5k solid setup on "trade me" in NZ recently. Was asking $200 for the lot lifters, pushrods, rockers and cam. Was second hand though.

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok so i sat down with verniers and measured the 5k gear and a 3k rod that i had,

5k rod is 151mm x 7 mm with a ball end both ends

5k lifter is 50.8mm length by 21.3mm diameter

3k rod is 186mm with a cup and ball setup. the cup end has a depth of 3.8mm to bottom out against the rocker post

5k lifter, with spring and piston inside removed, top cup inserted and 3k pushrod is 194mm

5k lifter with 5k rod is 194-195mm.

only drama is figuring out how much adjustment i have between a set face on the 5k solid rocker arms, and the 4k adjustable rocker gear. i can wind the threads out but will have to see how much i have to play with.

makes me think that felix's setup would work well, its just the 5k gutted lifter with insert in the bottom is really sloppy and doesnt sit well with me.

Anyways its pretty bloody close and at the right price of free its a good start.

Anyone know if the 202 valve springs will suit my 5k head and the benefit of running them/ or there coil bind pressure and at what lift??

cheers lads

dropped the block off today, the pistons and rods looked pretty close to have already been balanced, came within 2grams of each other and they were covered in carbon. bores were pretty smooth and shiny so fingers crossed i can get away with a hone and new bearings and lightened flywheel.

the head was have been flowed at 139hp but know nothing more on those details. engine builder and tighe cams have suggested goin to solids so now I'm on the hunt and slightly confused with all the info on the net. Can the 5k accept 202 valve springs and would that be my best bet?!?!?

I have a 5k bottom end. 5k twin squish/ really small chamber head, with the 2 lugs on it.

I have a old 4k rocker gear setup, maybe some 4k rods.

I read felix i think saying bottomed out 5k lifters, 3k rods and 4k rockers??!?!?!? any info would be great so i can get the cam away for a grind and get it back together.

Cheers lads look forward to some info

Was the 139hp head flow for a stock 5K head or ported?

Looks like it would be around 136 cfm @ 28", base on calculations here:

http://www.rollingthunderz.com/rfs_formulas_intake.shtml

no, the head was ported to suit the previos owner/builders want. i just pickdd it up and don't have the details. does that 28" mean anything in terms of lift to build a cam around or should i get it flow tested.

i sold all my pus holden gear years ago and now have a sorry spot for corollas. toyotas all the way!!! just wanna build it righ first and enjoy it all. 5k head, bottom end. need good guidance on solid lifter setup/ good replacement valve springs and a guide on 40mm twin weber tuning

no, the head was ported to suit the previos owner/builders want. i just pickdd it up and don't have the details. does that 28" mean anything in terms of lift to build a cam around or should i get it flow tested.

i sold all my pus holden gear years ago and now have a sorry spot for corollas. toyotas all the way!!! just wanna build it righ first and enjoy it all. 5k head, bottom end. need good guidance on solid lifter setup/ good replacement valve springs and a guide on 40mm twin weber tuning

OK, the cfm @ 28" is the units to measure flow: cubic foot per minute, for a pressure exerted by a column of water 28 inches high. The engine builder would have a flow bench to measure the flow through the intake and exhaust ports, at increasing increments of valve lift. There becomes a point at which increasing the valve lift further doesn't contribute to an increase in flow. This value for max lift can be used when selecting camshaft profiles.

You could also get the flow data (flow versus lift) and put it into engine simulation software, like Engine Analyzer Pro:

http://performancetr...nalyzer-Pro.htm

Then you can play around with different camshaft profiles, compression ratios, intake, and exhaust etc. Observe the changes in power and torque throughout the rpm range.

Edited by bruce

If the head has been ported before it might be OK as it is. But if you want to spend a bit of money, then go with larger valves and more porting to make it flow more. There must be more room for improvement, and intake port bias to promote swirl. And also match the intake and exhaust manifold to the head to make it free flowing.

• 2 weeks later...

So call back from engine builder today, bottom of bores 20thou top 35thou. So were goin 40 over. Mains rods and cam bearings all good. Goin for a fully lightened bottom end and lightened flywheel. Any other things i should get done before i start assembly??! Hows the rods and pins hold up?? Is it worth looking at running head studs and will an acl monotorque head gasket be suitable for the build???? Still not sure about cam either. Thanks lads

I don't use anything but genuine toyota head gaskets now. Probably twice the price of an acl one but definately worth the extra cash.

Where abouts did you get the genuine Toyota head gasket from? Can you still get them at co-op Toyota in Hobart?

Where abouts did you get the genuine Toyota head gasket from? Can you still get them at co-op Toyota in Hobart?

Have got them from toyota in Launy, a member here works in the spare parts department.

You could get one from any toyota dealership, however it can be a matter of how many are left in the country at the time. Last one I bought was apparently the last one left in the country at the time. They said if it was snapped up before I bought it it could be a 6 week wait for more to come from Japan.