Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

2Jz-Ge Into Ke70 Conversion

Featured Replies

So I'm looking at converting my KE70 sedan auto to a 2jz possibly, (otherwise looking at the holden 304/308), what I'm after is some idea of what i'll need to buy to do the conversion, eg gearbox and engine mounts... It has a welded stock diff and completely stock apart from the rims and flat front conversion. Relatively new to the rolla scene, used to be in the commodore group. I also have a supercharged v6 commo engine sitting around at home, but i'd like to stay mostly toyota. Any help would be appreciated, cheers

Use the gearbox it came with, I asume a Supra. Strip the KE70 bay and hang it in there to see where you can fit it, obviously the further back the better.

 

Seeing it won't be registered you could take a grinder to the firewall and stick the extra two cylinders under the dash, which is what I did with a Datsun rally car many years back. The mounts are easy to fabricate, you'll have more trouble with electrics and gauges, findng a big enough radiator, and making the exhaust fit.

 

Keep us up to date, it should be fun.

  • Author

I was hoping to have it registered, although this is going to be a long term project, currently the car is my daily so i would need another car to drive daily before the conversion, i was thinking about buying all the parts over the next year or two and then seeing where i'm at. Currently a pipe dream. I'm looking at an engine on gumtree that doesn't have a gearbox so ill need to source one. is the engine bay actually large enough to fit without modification of the firewall? or would the v8 be a better fit? thanks

How much cash you intend on spending? As you can get a manual jzx100 for about the cost of taking a standard ke70 to something worthwhile having a 1jz in it.

 

I'm not saying don't have a go, it seems to fit alright based on a few photos. But if I wanted a j engine in an 80s car I'd be going something a little bigger. An old ma70 supra or even that celica/supra with the cool over fenders (ra65?? Can't remember). Or even one of those cresidas.

 

If you are keen on getting some details on the ke70/1j though search toy mods for the ae71 panel van with the 1j, he might have a build thread on here not sure but the one on toy mods was very detailed. One of the best/complete conversions I've seen I reckon.

Edited by ke70dave

  • Author

Well on the cash side of things I'm not that well off being a uni student... So I'm looking at something under about $5k... I looked at that 1jz wagon, are the two engines really that different in length? I also saw someone mention On ae86 Driving club forums that because it's such a large engine far forward in the car it would reduce weight On the back wheels like a see saw, would it be better to go with the v8? Because it's not so long physically? Thanks for the quality responses guys

  • Author

Would the Holden 3.8L ecotec v6 be a viable option? I have 2 of those just sitting around and 1 gearbox to suit? Although the weight of the car and engine displacement thing comes into play with trying to get it registered... Is it possible to get a higher displacement engine registered in a little car or is that the definite Rule no exceptions?

A lot of the rules have changed lately. I'd suggest ringing your local engineer or going and seeing them.

The Holden V6 has done a lot. There is a thread on here with a 2JZ KE70 Ill see if I can find it for you.

 

Also there is a guy on here who does 1UZ-FE mounting kits for KE70 but I doubt you'd get that road legal.

Edited by B.L.Z.BUB

Ah, if you want to register it, check with the RTA or whatever WA uses first to see if it is at all possible. Then as Reed says, chat to your local engineer.

 

If it is at all allowed then you'll need an engineer to certify it, and he will tell you what else you will need to do in the way of suspension and brakes. I think a mate of Steve's paid more for engineering certification for a 4AGE into his KE70 than he paid for the KE70 itself! People talk in multiples of thousands for engineers to sign a piece of paper.

 

One of the first things would be to see how the sump of the possible new motors fit, as changing the KE70 crossmember and steering rack would bring a whole new level of compexity.

I think the thing to consider here is - car companies spend millions, even billions of dollars developing and engineering cars.

 

Whereas you're proposing to build a roadworthy and engineered car based on a thirty year old chassis comparable in size, specs and performance to something like say, a BMW 135i - and expect change out of 20 grand.

 

I'm not saying it isn't achievable. But there are a thousand things you have to do and pay for to get there.

 

I'd go a warm cam and extractors on the 4k and have some fun doing what makes old corollas popular, before locking myself into 3 years of sleepless nights.

  • Author

Aha cheers for the help guys, maybe I'll just buy a second hand 4k and build it up, then I'll only change the engine number and hopefully make it a manual, until I'm rich or win lotto, thanks for all your help

don't let this advice detract from your goals. The suggestions are pure experience speaking.

 

Starting with a K motor will give you the basics. Moving up to a 4AGE with EFI and a computer is another step.

 

I am currently going from 4AGE to 4AGZE and its crazy the difference in wiring and how certain systems work.

 

BUT: after I have done this wiring diagrams and circuits don't worry me.

 

Build up, start easy. OR, start hard and learn the hard way, its not a bad way to do it. You learn to swim fast in the deep end.

Yeah but a JZ is just a shocking motor for a ke70. A v8 fits better. None would be legal for the street.

 

5000 bucks is a laughable budget for a full house motor conversion like a JZ. Stick to K motors for your first efforts at playing with cars. Who cares if you ʞ©$ɟ one messing with it. :clover:

legal engine capacity is weight of car x 4 = MAX CC, so a ke70 weighs 950kg?? so 950 x 4 = 3800cc.....thats for non turbo engine's.

I'd suggest.... Some good tyres on some nice wheels, replace all worn suspension components with new upgrades stuff. And either do a 4age conversion or carby/cam/exhaust/compression the engine. If you go the 4age way with the tyres/wheels/suspension to do it right you probably will struggle to do it under 5k. My 4age conversion cost me almost 3k!!

funny thing is the way taxumi tax is going the cost of a manual 2jz setup is almost the same as a manual 4age setup!!

 

i saw a 2jzge + w58 for $1100 yesterday on chris JDM page.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.