Welding A Borgy Centre Thru The Rear Plate.

crunk81us

So, taking the ke20 in a couple of sprints, need traction badly. All I want to know is, can I weld the diff centre with it still in the car. Mate says it can be done.. I'm dubious.

Can I remove the rear plate on the borgy and weld it up??

Please no for and against welded diff arguments. Just a little tech support :)

Members dont see this ad

It's not ideal but I have done this in my car, just remove the back plate and drain all oil and clean it out as much as possible to stop the oil catching fire ( learnt the hard way) weld the spider gears together as much as possible then spin the wheels and do the other side, the main thing is to get as much of the slag and fragments out as possible because it will kill the bearings in no time. Again learnt the hard way haha.

Hope this helps

Yes what Damon said ,i use to drain oil spray the shit out of it with super cheap degreaser .

Turn welder up high and melt the shit out of it.

Spray again with degreaser to remove any rubbish ,refill with oil hold flat.

Certainly not a road car though.

rob

We find that filling the teeth with weld is a better handling solution than welding the teeth together.

Fill a tooth gap with weld, turn the spider gears until a tooth hits that weld then fill the opposite one too, so you are smacking into two welds at once.

This gives you some 'open diff' action in each direction, maybe 1/3 of a wheel turn, which allows the nose to start turning in and eliminates the constant understeer that welded diffs give.

You might not be able to do this with the diff in its housing, we took it out. You can break it doing doughnuts on and off the tarmac on the same night your uncle welded it up for you, but the second one has lasted a dozen rallies without breaking.

• 2 months later...