Ae82 4Age General Tips/advice

Hey lads, just picked up my new daily AE82 twinky. goes alright, got it for cheap, don't know a great deal about the 4a motors but keen on learning, and advice would be good.

looking at going mechanical freshen up straight away, are platinums plugs worth it? toyota or ryco filter? will do fuel filter and all oils, coolant etc.

going to get superpros full suspension bush kit in it asap. its running 16's with what feels like stiff suspension.

what ive been researching is nice set of 15's 195/50/15 not sure on offset if anyone has some good advice on what sits flush, i have a guard roller.

the motor has high k's on it, but has been well looked after, i need it too pull around 1000ks a fortnight so economy/reliability is up there as priority. its running extractors/2", shocking cannon that will be off immediately and a pod in the engine bay.

I'm thinking of CAI the pod into the inner guard, clean up everything in general, ditching cannon asap, bush kit,

what spark plugs are suited to motor, what oil is best to run with higher kms and amount?

anything anyone else can think of to help me would be awesome, its a trick little car i look forward to getting it tidy and using as a daily. also all up for any additional mods anyone can think of, bit more poke would be nice but ill see how it goes after the tune up.

thanks very much

Members dont see this ad

Good plugs are definitely worthwhile, but I wouldn't put them in anything that oils the plugs. I use the fancy nippondenso's. For the type of driving you do, just use the standard heat range. Extractors are a total waste of time on a standard motor, but if they are already there, what the hey.

I always use Toyota oil filters, but I gather even ryco's have an anti drain valve in them these days. Just make sure whatever you use has a valve in it.

Make sure the distributor heat shield is in place, especially with the extractors, or you will fry the ignition module. I would make an effort to shield it even more because of the extractors.

I would get rid of the pod. Put an airbox back in it. The stock airbox from memory already has cold air ducting. Pods just add noise and nothing else, and can reduce kw. You can always get a K & N filter to go in the airbox if you feel so inclined.

If the bottom end has good compression and you feel compelled to do something to the engine, just put a TRD 0.8 mm metal head gasket in it. Otherwise, leave it alone and enjoy it.

What Parrot said!

Make it comfortable to drive, not a hard noisy rough race car if you're doing 100km a day. See what you can do for good shocks to go with the new bushes and if there are ways of getting a tad of extra camber on the front. Toyo T1-R or whatever they do these days, I think they might be R1-R now, or Falken FK452 or something really grippy would make driving it more enjoyable. I always run my tyres in pairs so I can pick different front end handling to rear end. Chase down thicker sway bars and see if the guys that bought them reckon they are value for money.

I don't know what you can do to the 4AGE, they were pretty good straight out of the factory and you don't need it with hot cams and lousy low-down pulling.

hey guys thanks for the responses, Parrot- yeah ill chase some plugs up, as for airbox does the twinky and say ae92 airbox fit, or did ae82 come with 4afe? and would that fit?. thanks for the suggestion about the heat shield, it still has it on mine but the dizzy seal is leaking so it may have gotten the oring hot and created a hard seal.

i did a compression test on purchase and it had 150,140,150,150. so steady and pretty consistant.

i have been researching mods and all, i have found a cheap bigport and am thinking of recoing the head and swapping them down the track, but then i may as well do the bottom end and swap them over, but then going to the extent of a engine swap i may as well go 4agze. ill just run the motor and see how it performs/lasts and make arrangements to suit.

and altezza - i hadnt thought of that but until you said it - make it comfortable to drive, ill chase some gear up and some tint to keep it cool, will definately get the suspension sorted to make the drive nice and some decent tyres.

all something to learn about and play around with, cheers ill do a bit of a rides thread, and yeah if anyone has handling tips I'm all ears thanks

My mates club man has a standard big port with some sort of upgraded camshafts and an aftermarket ecu to suit. We think the cams are fairly aggressive, though it idles pretty smoothly. It really screams in the high rpms compared to my old factory big port though.

So i think if i was playing with 4ages again that's the route id take.

Though its hard to get an idea on how detrimental the cams were to the low rpms as the clubman is so light its fast across all rpms.....

ill just run the motor and see how it performs/lasts and make arrangements to suit

Yeah, those compressions aren't that brilliant, just run it for a year and see if they get worse. Sort out everything else and then investigate if its rings or valves, & by then you will have a better idea about everything.

AE82's had a 4age big port or a 4ac carb engine. The 4age filter box is of course a direct bolt in. There is a hole in the inner guard for some sort of cold intake from memory. No 4afe's.

Agree with altezza, just drive it for a year and think about things over that time. It's a fun revvy light car with not a lot of torque. It feels fast though really it isn't. Aggressive cams in a big port just make your usable rev range to narrow and too high in the range. If you are going to go to that effort you really need to think about aftermarket ecu's and various other issues. I wouldn't bother with that in a FWD car. Just put a 20 valve in instead.

But drive it for a year first.

ohh its ridiculous when i drove it with those 16's. i was waiting to be impressed but kept telling myself it needs a tune. should be good for fuel and feel better with the right rim/tyre. i gotta keep telling myself its only a daily when i still have 3 projects and don't need another!!! . all for the love of it i guess.

and yeah no intentions of bombing it up with cams and such, maybe a computer if one comes up cheap enough but yeah, ive found a cheap gze, but like i said, enough projects. i think it just needs some lovin

so i picked her up, not a bad little runner, changed the plugs as soon as i got it, changed the complete power of the car, i thought they were gone, obviously. Opened the dizzy to find it full of oil, so have just picked up a few seals and bearing for it and should be good to go. shocks need replacing but other than that not a bad ride. 195/50/16 on it and they scrub a bit so I'm looking at either folding the guards or some smaller tyres. pretty impressed but