What Fuel To Use

Dzhoel

Conflicted about what fuel to use

In the handbook for my ke30, toyota recommends 90 octance fuel. Everybody i've talked to says fuel qualities has changed since the 70's and todays 91 is bad for the old donk. So everbodies vouching for 98 and the timing is set for it.

Call me insane but i think i got more km's from 91 fuel.

What fuel do i use? What does everybody else do?

Members dont see this ad

I use 95 from United all the time, everything from the untouched KE70, the higher comp & cam KE70, the Pulsar SSS and the Altezza.

The only way to check your ideas about fuel consumption is to be very scientific about it.

You have to fill the tank every time to the same amount. (I fill until the pump clicks off, then pull it again to make sure it clicks off again almost instantly)

You have to drive the same route, more or less. I use trips from Orange to Walcha, 550Km each way, one way is always better.

You have to do it several times. The more times you check it the more accurate your figures are.

I know-

98octane gives more Km per tank, but not enough to cover the extra cost.

Larger diameter tyres or a taller diff ratio cuts back the rpm at 100kph but uses slightly more fuel.

Driving at the coast uses less fuel than driving at altitude.

SU carbs use less fuel than stock Aisan carbs.

• Upvote 1

If your engine is stock, just use standard ULP. It isn't worth the extra cost to go 95 or 98. The KE30 should be super economical. Spend the extra cash on maintaining the ignition system and tappets and you can't go wrong

My recollection is that K heads were safe to use with ULP without risk of valve seat recession related to the absence of lead.

I never used to notice any real benefit from 98 or 95 over the regular 91 in my k engine. Like others have said, make sure your points are adjusted correctly (or throw the points out and go electronic), a well maintained engine will yield better results than different petrol.

In my suzuki sierra g13a it definately ran better on 98, smoother, but fuel economy was much of a muchness. So I only put 98 in when I was trying to sell it:p

Agree with Dave. There are simple electronic ignition kits available that will do away with the vagaries of points and dwell. By far the best modification you are likely to make with regards to starting ease, driveability and economy.

This is where I got mine from. http://www.simonbbc.com/

If you do buy, make sure you differentiate between whether you have a Bosch or Nippondenso distributor

Horses for courses. Higher octane when needed, Lower octane when needed.

Higher octane is less volitile than lower octane but it works by allowing more

performance without combustion problems. Most high octane modern motors

have a knock sensor to allow the ignition timing to retard on lower octane fuel.

Be sure to always have a new or cleaner air filter rather than a dirty or blocked

one as it affects the fuel comsumption quite a bit on a factory sized filter.