Speedo Help

Hi guys

I just converted my ke70 from a 4 speed manual to a 5 speed manual over the weekend and after a couple days of driving to and from work i realised my speedo is out my mates dad was in front of us doing 62 and my speedo said i was doing 70

Any help i was thinking maybe the speedo cable is diferent in a 5 speed or something like that

Members dont see this ad

When I fitted a KE70 box into my KE35, I had the same issue. Worked out to be around 20% difference between road speed and what the speedo said. There may be different speedo gears that go on the end of the cable but I couldn't be stuffed mucking around. Just drove at an indicated 120km/h on the hwy :)

There is an internal metal gear with a certain number of teeth in the gearbox, and another speedo drive gear with various numbers of teeth (depending on the original vehicle specification) made of plastic. The latter you can remove easily from the hole in the gearbox where the speedo cable attaches. Unscrew the speedo cable, remove the bolt that holds the little retainer plate, and the driven gear complete with its housing should ease out. The gear assembly itself is kept in place by a fancy circlip. Usually the number of teeth on the gear is pressed into it (or you can count them!)

You need to work out the correct combination for your specific situation as you have a gearbox from one car and crown wheel and pinion from another, plus tyre sizes that weren't available back when KE70's were made. There are tables around on the internet that allow you to work out what you need.

For late T50's for example, there are at least two different inner gears, and about 4 driven gears.

From memory, the speedo driven gear from K boxes are different length and diameter from those in a T box.

It sounds hard, but actually it is pretty simple as long as you can locate the right driven gear. The internal gear is way too hard to bother with.

I don't know for sure, but it may be as easy as swapping the driven gear from the K40 into the K50, depending on whether the inner gear has the same number of teeth.

It has nothing to do with the cable itself.

Edited by parrot

thanks for the help

me and my dar are going to see if the speedo gear thinging in the k40 box from my box fits in the k50

after driving it to and from work for a few days ive realsied its not the best gearbox and i was wondering if i was able to swap the back of the box and all the internal parts from the k50 onto my k40 so making my k40 into a k50

or would it be easier to swap all the internals from mine into the k50 replacing 1-4 and reverse in it using my gears

also my rims are bigger but i used the calculator at the tyre shop to work out the correct tyres

my speedo read fine before the gearbox upgrade i only noticed because when I'm doing 70 everyone is flying past me litterally everyone and it happened everyday this week

Edited by Daniel.Kessler

When it comes to KE70s the boxes are the same inside as Toyota just added 5th gear in the rear tailshaft housing, so it is actually "outside" the gearbox.

However the layshaft in the K50 is longer to carry that extra gear, so you would need to use that. The mainshaft probably has extra splines at the rear end to take the other half of the fifth gear, so you need that too. It means you'd only be swapping gears 1-4, which is still a lot of work.

I'd need a gearbox shop to do it, and when I put a K50 into them just to have a new front seal fitted they pulled it apart and said "its rooted.. all the hardening has been worn off the layshaft..", and never put the box back together! So you might be opening a real can of worms.

I just came across some speedo drive gears in the shed. I have various box requirements so have them for assorted Toyota's. i.e yours may not look exactly the same.

Here you can see one in it's housing, and one removed. Have noticed they don't all have a circlip to hold in the rod, looks only to be the later T50 type so you may not have one of those.

post-4909-0-47692200-1447301376_thumb.jpg

cheers for the help

so i can basically add the 5th gear to my k40 and swap the layshaft and mainshaft over to make it into a k50 because the gears in the k50 arent the greatest and reverse is really shit haha

my dad used to work on cars at a service station in the 70's he said he has rebuilt hundreds of gearboxs and it wouldnt be a problem just making sure all the parts will swap over as i don't want to have the car off the road longer than the weekend since my commy isnt running right either