What Did I Buy? Its A 1975 Corolla But Nothing Looks Exactly Like It

mitco39

Hey guys,

I am currently vacationing in Thailand (from Canada) and while out bombing around on a scooter the wife and I saw this car for sale and ended up buying it. I expect to get it back in Canada in about 7-8 weeks from now. I been trying to find the exact model I have but all the pictures I find look just a little bit different than the car I have. All I know for sure is it is a 1975 Corolla, we drove it around for a day and it is a blast to drive.

Both the wife and I are big into car shows in Canada and neither of us have seen one quite like this. I stumbled across this forum while google searching to try and determine exactly what I bought and figured you guys would be the ones to know for sure.

Looking forward to spending some time on this site and learning some more about this car, I plan to spend some time on it and restore the engine bay and whatever else I find needs work when I get time to tear into it.

Thanks for looking

Mitch Cooper

12386744_10156228061430462_1552712919_n_zpsfyuyx00m.jpg

20151215_143848_zpsmiqteegu.jpg

20151215_143840_zpsearieb4i.jpg

20151215_143836_zpsrdsj11ru.jpg

20151215_143820_zpsisexp62f.jpg

20151215_143030_zps5jaum4vl.jpg

Members dont see this ad

Hi Mitch

Looks like a ke35 or te37 . Could be a 75 but dash looks like a 77. Bonnet (hood) looks 75`. Tail lights te37

Pop the hood and check the alu ID plate on firewall. Chassinr should be stamped in there as well.

Take some pics of engine bay. Is it 4 or 5 speed?

Flares , lip ,seats ,mirrors++ are aftermaket, Cool ride.

Driving home for Christmas ?

I did happen to take a pic of the firewall and you are right it is a KE35, for some reason I didnt think to look there. It is a 5 speed. I wish it would be possible to drive it home, but its getting put on a container ship in bangkok and sent to Vancouver and then probably on a train to Alberta haha.

20151212_135019_zpsgfguugpr.jpg

That's an awesome looking car. What motor does it have? I have a ke35 in Perth Australia. Its easy to buy most new mechanical parts/gaksets etc here cheaply. Trim is difficult to find. Rollaclub, eBay, Gumtree, Peter Robinson Automotive, are great sources for parts and trim. The dash you have is a late model ke35 style, the same as a ke55.

Now that's what I call bringing home a souvenir. It sure as hell ain't no stuffed elephant or plastic buddha.

How much is it going to cost you to get it home?

Yeah we had no intention of purchasing a vehicle but the deal was to good to pass up. Still waiting on a final quote but I am expecting around 5000 to ship to Vancouver.

That's an awesome looking car. What motor does it have? I have a ke35 in Perth Australia. Its easy to buy most new mechanical parts/gaksets etc here cheaply. Trim is difficult to find. Rollaclub, eBay, Gumtree, Peter Robinson Automotive, are great sources for parts and trim. The dash you have is a late model ke35 style, the same as a ke55.

To be honest I didnt look closely at all, it didnt miss a beat in the heat of Thailand with us driving it. The wife has family in thailand and they are driving it from southern thailand up to bangkok for me. The wife did manage to get a picture of the engine, maybe you can tell from that?

1082638_10156250946980462_704206513_n_zps1m2xcw0e.jpg

strange but paperwork seems to state a 09` 77` with a 1290cc 4k engine?. Not that i know tailandish :no2: :hmm: Airfilterbox looks like a 4k item. Check that alu ID tag on firewall. Engine will have a serial number stamped on block starting with 3k or 4k.

air con compressor?

hell yeah

Yes it had aircon, only when moving though, lol. Ill probably have to put a bit of time into it. I believe it needs a recharge.

That is awesome!

I've been in canada all year and I haven't seen 1 old corolla. I suspect you won't get it here within the next two weeks....but if you do bring it to Banff and take me for a hoon in the show haha!

Yeah you just don't see them in Canada, which is odd because the old JDM market is fairly strong especially in Alberta. haha I think they said to expect anywhere from 6-8 weeks to come over. And even then it will be trailered and then parked in the garage for the rest of winter. haha.

strange but paperwork seems to state a 09` 77` with a 1290cc 4k engine?. Not that i know tailandish :no2: :hmm: Airfilterbox looks like a 4k item. Check that alu ID tag on firewall. Engine will have a serial number stamped on block starting with 3k or 4k.

The wife said she saw 4K stamped on the block. Again we know next to nothing about the car, both of us mistaken it for a early GTR initially till we got closer.

Clearly with the amount of effort that has been expended on the car, it may well not be original, though it is clearly a K engine. A 4K wouldn't have been original fitment anyway. I wonder if it has had any work done to the engine? A standard air filter intake would suggest not, but that could have been put on to replace a set of expensive carbs that were sold separately, or perhaps they may have swapped out the engine for a standard replacement.

Be a lot of salt on the roads with snow? Old corollas don't hold up well to that.

Yeah we have alot of salt, thats why she will be in a nice warm heated garage all winter with our other toys.

Clearly with the amount of effort that has been expended on the car, it may well not be original, though it is clearly a K engine. A 4K wouldn't have been original fitment anyway. I wonder if it has had any work done to the engine? A standard air filter intake would suggest not, but that could have been put on to replace a set of expensive carbs that were sold separately, or perhaps they may have swapped out the engine for a standard replacement.

Ill take a bunch more pictures when it gets here and you guys can let me know, I am brand new to the corolla scene haha. My extent of experience with a corolla was tuning a turbo'd AE86 with megasquirt.