Maxi

TOMsGPTurbo

Hey Trev, would the fuel filter change the way the car performs under load?

Certainly will. I had a blocked pump pickup screen in the Silvia. Would idle fine but fuel flow was insufficient under load so it would lean out and run like shit. Given your tank looked like that I think there's a fair chance the filter will be blocked. If it keeps getting blocked then the fuel lines under the car might be rusty as hell too.

Members dont see this ad

Certainly will. I had a blocked pump pickup screen in the Silvia. Would idle fine but fuel flow was insufficient under load so it would lean out and run like shit. Given your tank looked like that I think there's a fair chance the filter will be blocked. If it keeps getting blocked then the fuel lines under the car might be rusty as hell too.

Thanks Ben, Things I'll try tomorrow:

1, replace fuel filter

2, replace MAP sensor

3, replace leads and dizzy cap

4, replace coil

5, spark plugs

6, ?????????

7, ?????????

Edited by TOMsGPTurbo

... I'm F#*&ing over it.

The car is now sitting in the middle of the yard in facing the neighbors that I'm 99% broke into my house and I'm all out of ideas?

I really want to avoid towing it :( if it's still in one piece tomorrow.

Yay for the new house! I see what you meant by knowing the life in boxes very soon, sooner than I'd thought. :wink:

It makes me sad to read all the problems you've been having in getting her to go, if I wasn't at the opposite end of the country to you I'd be around helping you! :yes: Probably checking fuel related components, you seem to have gone over the wiring well enough to possibly remove that from the list of suspects.

If you were only 100% sure, I'd help you burn their house down. :wink: :evil: Our neighbour saw the person break into our house, yet didn't tell us or the police anything about them, real handy. :abuse:

Hope all goes well for you mate, the car, the move, the lot! :y:

P.S - Please don't be over it, I'd love to see her running! :)

Thanks man, I'm slowly learning about fixing cars... i didnt end up going last night .... needed a mental break for my sanity!

I'm happy you moved your last neighbor is s tool he should be charged with aiding a crime, i still can't believe they didnt do anything.

Going back tonight to work on the rolla, depending on weather.

sorry about the recent posts, I've been using my mobile phone to post messages lately as no net in new place yet...

Anyhow, so tonight I'm spending a fair amount of time on the car and I've pulled the plugs off, they were really fouled up, so I'll give them a clean and wack em back in, as for the fuel filter, I took it off the parts car, it's a complete different filter in my car, so looks like i have to buy another and wack that on, but here is the shit moment of the night that made me pack up tools,

I'm not sure if I mentioned it, but I had buster heater hose right, well I thought it was a heater hose (pulled that off for no reason and it's a real bi&ch to get back on!) it turns out to be a rusted out water pipe that goes from the heater house outlet, as soon as I touched it it basically fell off :(

So, does the bit that the thermostat plug into bolt off? and how?

Not my engine, but to give you an idea what part I am talking about:

post-5-0-21739500-1322823448_thumb.png

Ok its 2 nuts and 1 bolt... sneeky bolt is on the bottom... now just have to make a new rubber seal for it :/

I checked out the plugs again... i had ngk with that dual tip anyways the turned into one tip that crumbled away in my hand

anyhow fitting a coolant hose behind the engine and under the intake manifold is great fun :/

i have to stop whinging like a little girl lol when the rolla will be in the garage i'll be happy ... Other good news is the misses has noticed benefits of having two cars..

Ok its 2 nuts and 1 bolt... sneeky bolt is on the bottom... now just have to make a new rubber seal for it :/

I checked out the plugs again... i had ngk with that dual tip anyways the turned into one tip that crumbled away in my hand

anyhow fitting a coolant hose behind the engine and under the intake manifold is great fun :/

i have to stop whinging like a little girl lol when the rolla will be in the garage i'll be happy ... Other good news is the misses has noticed benefits of having two cars..

Damn, makes me wonder what surprises await me when I pop Sudis bonnet to begin dismantling her & transferring parts over. :blinks: Aside from the massive colony of spiders living in her! :laff:

Have had the same issues in the past with coolant pipes/hoses corroding on me, there's one right between the block & firewall underneath the intake manifold too... :wink:

Good to hear the missus is happy, means less nagging about time/money spent on car! :y: What are these benefits she's noticed?

Edited by carbonboy

Damn, makes me wonder what surprises await me when I pop Sudis bonnet to begin dismantling her & transferring parts over. :blinks: Aside from the massive colony of spiders living in her! :laff:

Have had the same issues in the past with coolant pipes/hoses corroding on me, there's one right between the block & firewall underneath the intake manifold too... :wink:

Good to hear the missus is happy, means less nagging about time/money spent on car! :y: What are these benefits she's noticed?

I hope you don't have as much trouble as I do, I actually hope you don't have any trouble at all!!! thumbs_up_trans.gif

Damn, what's the deal with coolant hoses and pipes, the amount of crap that lives in there is amazing, I think my engine has some kind of ecosystem going on lol happy.gif

About my missus, well lately she has had to get to hospital quickly whilst she was at work and I have our daily at my work, so kind of unfortunate circumstances has lead to the realisation that having access to two cars is important. I must say the last two years on my life have been the hardest - I see it as character building anyhow I have enough real life stress I like to forget it all and come on here so back to fixing Maxi,

In hind sight, it would of been better to just do a straight engine swap from the parts car to my car ... lol laugh.gif

I hope you don't have as much trouble as I do, I actually hope you don't have any trouble at all!!! thumbs_up_trans.gif

Damn, what's the deal with coolant hoses and pipes, the amount of crap that lives in there is amazing, I think my engine has some kind of ecosystem going on lol happy.gif

About my missus, well lately she has had to get to hospital quickly whilst she was at work and I have our daily at my work, so kind of unfortunate circumstances has lead to the realisation that having access to two cars is important. I must say the last two years on my life have been the hardest - I see it as character building anyhow I have enough real life stress I like to forget it all and come on here so back to fixing Maxi,

In hind sight, it would of been better to just do a straight engine swap from the parts car to my car ... lol laugh.gif

Bugger about the circumstances, I hope your missus is alright/recovers quickly & wont require hospital services too much in the future! :y:

That's what I love about working on a project car, when I go into that shed-space, the rest of the world ceases to exist. There's no stress from mates behaving strangely, no work-related issues, no complaints because I havent called her in a month... :laff:

Hindsight's like foresight without a future... I can't lay claim to that quote, someone much smarter than me came up with that but it's true. If I knew all the $h1t I'd have gone through since starting this project I probably wouldn't have, now where would be the fun in that? There aint nothing to it but to do it. :)

Bugger about the circumstances, I hope your missus is alright/recovers quickly & wont require hospital services too much in the future! :y:

That's what I love about working on a project car, when I go into that shed-space, the rest of the world ceases to exist. There's no stress from mates behaving strangely, no work-related issues, no complaints because I havent called her in a month... :laff:

Hindsight's like foresight without a future... I can't lay claim to that quote, someone much smarter than me came up with that but it's true. If I knew all the $h1t I'd have gone through since starting this project I probably wouldn't have, now where would be the fun in that? There aint nothing to it but to do it. :)

Wife's mum should be out of hospital soon (I haven't been working on the car as I'm reno'ing her house for her so she gets a nice surprise when shes out), fingers crossed.

So true about working on the car and takes your mind off everything else, every man needs a shed, garage, work space to get away from it all.... hehe now I just have to get mine to the damn garage!!!! lol

True about the quote :)

P.S: Do you think I make a rubber seal from a rubber band? or can I actually buy a rubber seal separately from the major part? (lol I'm not normally this dodgy)

Edited by TOMsGPTurbo

P.S: Do you think I make a rubber seal from a rubber band? or can I actually buy a rubber seal separately from the major part? (lol I'm not normally this dodgy)

You could...how long it would last for is questionable though, whereabouts is this seal going to be? Should be able to get the seal seperately. :hmm: