Ke70Daves New Euro Toy

ke70dave

Members dont see this ad
  • 4 weeks later...

So there was an incident.

Wont go into too many details, basically a stupid move on my part on my own property ended in some dents, I was very lucky not to get injured more than i did as i was half in the car at the time. No Major structural damage at all, just a few dents on the bonnet, 2 on the right hand side guard and the worse was that i really did a number on the drivers door, smashed the mirror and wrecked the the chrome strip across the top of the door. the bonnet hinges needed some bending back, but the bonnet fits about as good as it did before (was never perfect). few pics of my original damage:

post-2532-0-04880600-1486948108_thumb.jpg

post-2532-0-14822000-1486948110_thumb.jpg

The outcome was actually pretty good given the circumstances. I had the car insured for 5k so i got the damage assessed. they were going to write off the car with no option to buy back the car (ie a payout minus excess), but i convinced the assessor to lower the damage amount in order for me to keep the car and get a cash settlement. So i got to keep the car, and i got a fairly substantial pay out and got to keep the car.

As for repairs, so far i have only bought a new mirror for $20.

I've managed to dodgy up the front grill to fit, its cracked on the clips but ive got it to stay in pretty rigid and it looks ok. I managed to get 70% of the dent out of the chrome bumper, didnt go any further for fear of cracking the chrome. I also painted all the black bits on the bumper which sort of hides the dent to a degree. Ive had a reasonable attempt at fixing the dents on the bonnet, but i can do better. Mate is coming around tomorrow arvo to give me a hand, need someone to hold the lump of wood on the front of the dent while i hit from behind.

The worst damage is the door. Ive gotten a fair amount of the dent out and ive managed to get the door to close and lock. the door is physically bent and at first i couldnt get it to close at all. but some bashing has allowed me to close and make the car lockable. I might be able to get more of the dent out but I'm on the look out for a new door. the car is driveable as is so I'm waiting for a white door to come up, might have a lead on one from the wreckers in the gold coast. Here are some pics of how it stands at the moment, back on the road for now.

Very bad lesson learnt on my part. Crazy how fast things can happen.

post-2532-0-99053000-1486948113_thumb.jpg

post-2532-0-08741400-1486948112_thumb.jpg

Edited by ke70dave

Sorry to hear, hopefully you didn't hurt yourself too badly. Don't want to keep banging on a theme, but I've had a few close calls in the last couple of years with momentary losses of concentration I'm convinced is an age thing. In one of them I was incredibly fortunate not to lose a hand. But you have a few years to go before you catch me. You reflect on it immediately after, and can't understand how you ever let it happen. And I'm no idiot.

With luck you should be able to pickup a good door somewhere,and the payout is a bonus.

• 1 month later...

Another month goes by...Nothing too exciting to report.

Got rid of my mighty reliable hyundai so the e30 has been my daily drive for a month, no major issues.

I noticed my temp guage was reading a bit lower than usual, and it started to jump around a bit. so i temporarily fitted a VDO temp gauge and it was only reading about 65deg C.

Threw in a new thermostat (genuine bmw was cheaper than everywhere else) on the weekend and it sits back where it should be and reads around 84deg on the VDO gauge. Never had a thermostat pack up on me before, but luckily it was over flowing and not underflowing.

Annnnndd tonight my battery died, dropped a few cells it seems. sits on 12.5V but when you hit the starter to drops to ~4v....Dad picking me up a new one tomorrow, got the car packed on the hill so i can jump start it in the morning.

Pissing down rain here today and its very evident i need new tyres. Still undecided what to do wheel wise. They are 14" and choices are limited for 14". But i don't know if i can be stuffed buying new wheels. so i might just buy the best i can buy in 14".

• Upvote 1

Yah i have heard good things about imparts.

Mostly i've gotten by with genuine BMW or run auto parts down south.

I'm starting to not trust my oem temp guage now that i have the VDO. the OEM gauge is all over the shop, but the VDO one is rock solid at 84 all the time. I just need to make the VDO gauge a bit more permanent...Ziptied to the top of the steering column is not ideal.

• 3 weeks later...

Well first drive to mt nebo today. No pics I'm afraid. Didnt even stop. Had a blast though. Realised i hadnt been to mt nebo since about mid 2014, before canada. 

Car went great, though I'm not too impressed with the brakes. Current brakes are hpx qfm pads, brakes direct high temp fluid and new dba rotors. The brakes take a stop or two to get bighty, but it only takes 3 or 4 stops to start to get spongy......

Mate who came with me was surprised at how good the car went, so maybe i was giving the brakes more of a beating than i thought....

Edited by ke70dave

• 5 weeks later...

Bloody hell another month goes past. 

I tried to buy 2 sets of bottle cap aluminium oem wheels for this thing as i needed new tyres anyway. I was happy to pay money for good condition tyres, but the wheels them selves are dim a dozzen so didnt want to spend too much....

First set ($200 agreed price) the guy told me 4 brand new tyres on them, get to his house (40mins way), 1 half new tyre, 3 bald ones. his excuse "oh sorry i didnt check, i thought they were new. Walked away from that one. Idiot. 

Second set ($250 agreed), tyres were actually new and not very old, gave him some moneys, put them in the boot of the car and off i went. Got them home and mounted them on the car. One didnt fit nicely on the rear, but i figured it was because the centre bore was tight from some surface rust. So i put it on the front and the wheel was actually massively buckled. I cocouldn't see the buckle but once it was mounted up and spun it was quite evident. dude was nice enough to take my money back and i gave the whole set back. not his fault i suppose as they came off a parts car. Still frustrating. fail number 2. 

So i put new wheels in the too hard basket and bought 2 new budget tyres ($198 fitted) for the front and put the best two of my used tyres on the back. Problem solved. 

What a bloody waste of time:P haha. 

Still unsure what to do with this thing. It drives so nice at the moment, just an enjoyable car to drive around. Im tempted to buy some new shock absorbers and keep the oem springs. I think the rear shocks may have been replaced recently, but the fronts feel a bit worn. 4 new shocks and a couple of new bushes would tighten things up a bit and not detract from the nice daily drive ability.