5K Engine Noise

Viterbo

My 5K has been making a weird noise.

Recently I had to reground my crank, fitted new oversized bearings.

The engine made a weird noise before I do this and keep doing it right after the first startup after the work done on the crank. I thought it was bearing related but since he kept doing it, I don't know what that is.

I recorded the sound on video, the car only made 150kms after the work, so I hardly believe it's bearing noise, since I tighten all bolts with the correct torque, lubrificated both crank and bearings before fitting...

The sound is stronger when cold and almost inaudible when hot.

I was told it can be the timing chain...

So here is the video I recorded:

Members dont see this ad

It sure is noisey,you say the noise goes out as it heats up .

Timing chain ,may have a weak tensioner or chain is streched .

What else was done to engine?

Oil pressure ok?hydralic lifters.

Changed or checked pistons rings?compression test.

I would take the oil filter off and cut it open to check for metal in the paper.

Just some simple stuff to check first.

rob

Edited by corollaart

Nothing else was done. In november I started taking the crank out. Regrounded and new bearings. After that I had some electrical and fuel problems and it kept the car in house until yesterday when I got a new carb and was able to go make the mandatory annual inspection and the car run pretty fine.

I decided to replace the oil and filter and let the car dripping during the night. Today I installed an OEM Oil Filter and Shell Helix H7 10W40 oil, around 3,5L.

After I started it that noise came up.

Compression is pretty good, above 12bar in all cylinders (yes, 12 bar!).

I was having oil pressure problems before but since I done this work the light never came up.

I can't use Youtube with my pathetic Telstra 256K, but an important question would be-

Did you take the pistons out?

A broken ring or a cracked piston would make a rattley noise that quietens down as the piston heats up and expands faster than the steel block.

If they finally fix my net next week I will check the video.

I've listened to it 3 or 4 times, with headphones on, and it has that hollow ringing sound, associated with the noise being generated within the sump area. I presume you have checked your oil pressure ?

You could possibly narrow the point of generation, a bit more, by using a mechanics stethoscope. If you haven't got access to one of these, then you can always use a piece of hose or tube, with a bolt jammed in sensing end, and the other end in your ear with the second ear blocked. Move it around the engine until you find the area with the loudest output.

Whatever the result, it probable means the 5K has got to come out again, but if you can narrow it down, whilst it is running, it should make it easier to find, once the 5K is on the "operating table".

You didn't by any chance change the clutch pressure plate ? I once fitted a pressure plate to a 5K, with a high pitched ticking noise whilst running. Proved to be an aftermarket India pressure plate that was a little too big in the frame, which just touched the inside of the bellhousing, at one spot. Luckily, that only required removal of the gearbox.

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo

So if you take the plugs out and turn it to a few mm past top dead centre you could put a piece of dowell wood in the plug hole and see if you can push the piston down. If you find one piston with more movement than the other three you know its a damaged small end. It will only be a mm or less, more than that would be even noisier!

The sexy test would be to mount a dial gauge down the plug hole and measure at now many degrees each piston moves downwards.

If you don't find a bad piston you can't eliminate them, but it may be something else as well..