Brakebooster Rebuild?

MrMasternes

Hello I have a KE30 with a highlux brakebooster (I think). Previous owners used a sledge hammer and punched in the suspension wall to make it fit, very nasty install.

Luckly it came with the original brake booster and I would like to rebuild it as they are hard to find.

I'm hoping someone on this forum can guide me how! :)

Edited by MrMasternes

Members dont see this ad

Hi Marius,

The guys Rob suggested in South Australia, sound very good, but it doesn't really help you, as you are in Norway, where I gather, not a lot of early Corollas were sold or exist.

However, a similar company in Norway, who service brake boosters, should be able to refurbish your booster, as boosters are rarely made by the company who manufactures the car, but are made & supplied by "brake" component manufacturers.

The KE30 used a physically small booster, and transposing larger boosters from other cars, can be problematic, as you described what others have previously done ("butchered") to your Rolla.

Another alternative maybe to scour the car wrecking yards for a booster with similar dimensions, from a late model car of a similar size.

You will note that the mountings on the front of the booster for the master cylinder can vary, from model to model, but don't let that deter you, as you may also be able to change the master cylinder.

A very popular mod here is to fit a Mitsubishi Pajero MC to a Rolla, if up sizing the front brake calipers. I bolts straight onto a KE30 booster (no mods).

post-270-0-57155900-1474415520_thumb.jpg

post-270-0-85787900-1474415689_thumb.jpg

post-270-0-81406600-1474415849_thumb.jpg

I wish you luck, and let us know how you fare.

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo

Hi Marius,

I just had a quick look at my KE30 original brake booster details.

It has the following name plate details . .

ASCO BRAKE BOOSTER

Type: 44610-12070

No: 5A01192

AISIN SEIKI - JAPAN

Many of these brake booster units are sealed units, which makes them difficult to service yourself.

The ASCO one on my KE30 seems to have a crimp system to open it up, which may be possible, if you have the right tools.

If you read through the repair website that Rob posted above, you will note that they can supply parts, but would rather not, due to a number of given reasons, including the possible difficulty with sealed units.

I would think it would be highly expensive to either send your booster from Norway to Australia & back. They may supply you the parts, if you quote them all the numbers on your booster.

The best way would be to try buying them on-line from one of the many Japanese outlets. Try Amayama. They are great from my experience.

I just typed in P/N 44610-12070 on the AMAYAMA website, and they can ship a new one in 7 days. About USD 400 +

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo

Hey Guys I just paid $200 to have the booster on my daughters KE55 rebuilt. A place called Slacks Creek Brake and Clutch (south side of Brisbane). Turn around was less than 24 hours and it works like a champion. It had a tear in the diaphragm.

Yeah my ke30 one was $150 just over a year ago through a local guy.