A Bit Of Lateral Thinking

Banjo

Members dont see this ad

My concern was that the sleeves / liners in the 2NZ-FE are not a wet sleeve, or replaceable. The sleeve apparently has a rough outside finish, so it "bonds/locks" into the alloy bock casting very well. Apparently it is so thin, it can't be rebored. Apparently it is very efficient at getting heat out of the cylinders, & into the block & water jackets.

However, the more people I talk to, the less I am concerned about longevity, as everyone says they are just like the K series; unbreakable & go forever !

P.S. Apparently, the offset of the crankshaft C/L in relation to the C/L of the cylinders, greatly reduces the wear factor on the cylinder walls.

Here's a good read about the 2NZ-FE http://toyota-club.n..._faq_nz_eng.htm

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo

Jeremy, if you Google "Offset Crankshaft Advantages", you will find a lot of discussion for and against this technique, in various sites.

I have also heard of off-setting the piston pin in the actual piston, which may have similar results or advantages.

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo

If you can get a RWD transmission and a clutch to bolt up to the proposed yaris engine then the rest of the conversion is just the same as any other custom conversion. Engine mounts, tailshaft, cooling, fuel system and wiring. custom bell housing and clutches design are not beyond the scope of a home gamer with some CAD software, but machining and welding costs might be prohibitive.

Although i'm sure you like the idea of putting a toyota engine in, for me its hard to go past an MX5 engine and gearbox as a 4age alternative. RWD, VVTI and ready to go in.

Just wait until a few of the new 1.5L turbo mx5s get written off and grab the engine from that!

• Upvote 1

when i was younger, ahem, and smoking some interesting things, i was very inventive and creative, and was trying to come up with theories to improve engine efficiencies!

i can't remember exactly what i came up with, but imagine a std horizontally opposed 4 cylinder, like a subaru boxer or light single aircraft engine,

imagine the crankshaft is not fixed to the block, but instead the block and crankshaft rotate around a wheel which turns itself to line up with the most efficient crank path of each firing cylinder.

and then lines itself up with the opposite cylinder .. this is too complicated, i made it ou of lego technic and it made sense. i could only maek it wiht horizontally oppozed 4 cylinder setup.

Damn i smoked too much back then.

If you can find a transmission thats going to bolt to the block then all the rest is fabrication. You will have some of the same issues to solve as I had to overcome for a 2az conversion, like the rear facing starter, the lack of engine mount threads, the lack of a rwd transmission and the lack of rwd specific manifolds.

If you can't get a gearbox, clutch and starter system working I wouldn't be spending a second of my life stressing over cylinder liners or far off theoretical problems. You can rebuild a motor with liners. Darton will make custom sleeves for any motor, the 2azfe has the same lifespan apparently but thousands have been rebuilt, sleeved and boosted to 500hp/500 torque

I love the modern all alloy motors, especially with vvti, but I think you might be better off continuing your search to see if there is a more suitable motor with a rwd tranny that will fit before putting much stock into the 1nz fe. Why doesnt anyone do duratec engines in australia?

I would put money on the 4age bellhousing being not even close to correct, why would it be? Theres no lineage of parts between the 2 motors, they were made 20 years apart and they are completely different.

The 2az was similar to an existing rwd tranny only because of the lineage of all the camry motors like S, MZ, VZ and AZ all had the same dowel locations so bolts or no bolts they centred right and probably made their lives easier by designing the new motor to suit the existing tranny.

Edited by LittleRedSpirit

So the 4AGE started life as an east west engine, & has been widely used in Rollas with in a north/south configuration. If this rumour turns out to be fact, then any good in-line 5 speed gearbox that bolts up to the 4AGE series with a bell housing adaptor, would also possibly suit a 2NZ-FE engine.

Can anyone see anything wrong with this logic ? If not, then what gearboxes would meet that criteria ?

Pretty much all small FWD Toyotas run a C-series transmission but the bellhousing pattern would likely be different between an NZ, E, A motor etc etc. The thing is that if you have a bellhousing adaptor then the original transmission fitment is basically irrelevant (unless the bellhousing pattern is the same for an NZ as it is for an A in which case you could use an off-the-shelf T50 housing or J160 or whatever adaptor etc etc) and a clutch to suit.

And the 4AGE was north-south in the AE86 and AT141 before it was east-west in the AE82 :P