Drop the 4ac for a Beams for 4agze (turbo)

RouteBeer

So I've recently become extremely lucky in finding a very clean ADM ae86, It does however come with a 4ac. My plan is to eventually engine swap it but I was looking for more power than a standard 4age (If this came with a 4age i'd 100% keep it with the 4age, but since it comes with a 4ac I feel less guilty about swapping it)I've put together a small port 16v 4age in a ke70 (sitting around 120whp) and that thing was wicked fun but I've been bit by the power bug.

My main question is should I swap in a gen 5 beams (eventually getting ITBs) or turbo a 4agze, my main ballpark power figure is around 200-250whp and yes I know most beams tend to already come stock 200ish but what would be more cost effective? getting a turbo 4agze to 250whp or a beams to 250whp (staying NA), I'm not poor but I'm also not drowning in cash, I have around a 10k budget and plan to do most of the work myself besides the wiring and tuning as Ive had engine swap experience already. The main purpose of the car is to be a semi daily (2-3 times a week) and track is 3-4 times a year. This will not be a DRIFT specific car but I would like to take it the occasional event for some fun.

Ive heard of some dirty 4agze turbos hitting the 300-400hp mark so I'm wondering what it would take for hit 250, also ive heard some cases of beams hitting 240ish with just itbs so I'm very conflicted ahah, If you were in my position already with a car and a 10k budget which of the 2 options would you consider (I've got my heart set on a 4 cylinder Toyota engine so any other engine swaps Id rather stay away from such as sr20s, v6s and v8s)

Again I know I'm not being very specific on power but I'd be fine with just 200 flat whp but if there is room in the budget getting between 200 and 250 I'd do it.

Thanks for taking your time to read :)

I've also attached a photo of the car ahah

29681207_1649252615155742_2006269621_o.jpg

Edited by RouteBeer
  • Upvote 1

Members dont see this ad

It really does look lovely..

What diff are you planning? What gearbox??  What clutch?

You out of the comfort zone for both 4AG and 3SG with 250bhp, so I don't see the T50 gearbox or T-series diff taking it. The J160 will last a while, but not forever.

The J160 Altezza box is bulky, although we haven't tried to fit it to the KE70 yet & I expect some panelbeating will be needed. The shifter tower is tall and long, so cutting the tunnel ahead of the gearlever is expected.

There are a couple of adapter plates to put the J160 onto the 4AGZE, but simpler would be to leave it on a 3SGE. That would solve the clutch problem too. However that's a very tall motor, so you might run into fitment problems. Then again, the 4AGZE drops straight onto your crossmember, I'm pretty sure the 3S wont.

The 3SGE is all revs, nothing much happens until 4000rpm plus, so I expect the 4AG to be more realistic to daily. You should get more mid-range torque from a turbo 1.6L to overtake the 2L 3S, although the 3S will be easier to set up and tune. In the end it will be more daily than track car, so it needs to be pleasant to drive.

I dunno, there are pros and cons on both sides, you'll have to sharpen the focus on what you want the car to do and how much work each option will take. Talk to TRD KE70 about the rally car they built, they will know what gear you need like a clutch & diff to fit a 4AGE with a J160..

• Like 1

On 3/29/2018 at 7:23 PM, altezzaclub said:

It really does look lovely..

What diff are you planning? What gearbox??  What clutch?

You out of the comfort zone for both 4AG and 3SG with 250bhp, so I don't see the T50 gearbox or T-series diff taking it. The J160 will last a while, but not forever.

The J160 Altezza box is bulky, although we haven't tried to fit it to the KE70 yet & I expect some panelbeating will be needed. The shifter tower is tall and long, so cutting the tunnel ahead of the gearlever is expected.

There are a couple of adapter plates to put the J160 onto the 4AGZE, but simpler would be to leave it on a 3SGE. That would solve the clutch problem too. However that's a very tall motor, so you might run into fitment problems. Then again, the 4AGZE drops straight onto your crossmember, I'm pretty sure the 3S wont.

The 3SGE is all revs, nothing much happens until 4000rpm plus, so I expect the 4AG to be more realistic to daily. You should get more mid-range torque from a turbo 1.6L to overtake the 2L 3S, although the 3S will be easier to set up and tune. In the end it will be more daily than track car, so it needs to be pleasant to drive.

I dunno, there are pros and cons on both sides, you'll have to sharpen the focus on what you want the car to do and how much work each option will take. Talk to TRD KE70 about the rally car they built, they will know what gear you need like a clutch & diff to fit a 4AGE with a J160..

(Sorry didn't mean to quote the whole paragraph.)

But I'm planing on swapping to a hilux diff and most likely sticking with the gearbox and clutch from an altezza half cut.
I also know of a few adapter plates you can purchase to move the gear stick forward into the ae86 gear stick hole

But thanks youve given me a lot to think about.

Edited by RouteBeer

On 3/30/2018 at 12:18 PM, ke70dave said:

It's hard to beat a 4age in an ae86.  With all the parts ready you could do the conversion in a weekend. 

Defs go with a 4age and leave it NA? What happens when I get power hungry ahah? 

I guess I could ask that question with any engine i put into it,