Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Ae71 rear end swaying ( almost death wobbles )

Featured Replies

Ok so where to begin. I bought the car about 3 weeks ago, it for some reason gets a little bit of a death wobble going. This happens all the time but gets worse on the freeway. It feels somewhat like I'm doing some fat skids the whole way down the road and gets rather scary at times. It has new Panhard bushes as I thought that might be the problem. Kinda imagine your diving down the Rd any slight turn and the rear of the car feels like it's trailing / delayed behind the rest. I appreciate any help. 

IMG_20180415_135139.jpg

Do you normally drive a front wheel drive car? Mine felt like that but only a little bit when I bought my 71 after driving my ae82 for many years.

  • Author

Thanks for the quick replies guys. I did forget to mention it has been lowered all round, front is fully adjustable coil overs, rear is lowered springs and shocks etc. Tyre wear is fine all round. I did drive an ae82 and pulsar before I got this so dunno if it's just me tripping out :) the Panhard bushes are new so maybe I'll have a look at the trailing arm bushes. It's very odd and I should have mentioned earlier too that it tends to be worse on one side. Say I swerve left it's not so bad but swerve right its alot worse. 

Just as likely in the front suspension/steering, so go over that too. Get a wheel alignment done in case the rear is toeing out.

Your stiffer springs might need stiffer sway bars.

If everything is tight, it might be mis-matched shocks. The response from the rear might be slower than the front, so you might end up swapping shocks at each end for anything you can scrounge from someone else for a test run. If there is a wrecker nearby with a KE70 or any old 80s Toyota you could find something to try for under $50.

 

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.