Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

HELP NEEDED for KP36 Diff.

Featured Replies

I have a 1985 KP36. I've made a lot of mods on it mainly on the mechanical part.

1. Changed the stock 2K for a 4K  motor (Brand new cylinder block)

2. Put a Weber DGV 32/36

3. Switched the T40 gearbox with a T50. 

4. Put new Headers and new Radiator with a low temp racing thermostat.

 

All these are great. The problem I have is on the freeway. My Differential is a stock KP36 (picture attached) one with a ratio of 43:10 (4.3) so travelling long distance is a pain and hard to reach top speeds. I need to get me a 3.9 ratio differential in so I will be able to cruise at 100-130 KMH with the engine at low RPMs.

Is there a way I can only switch my Final Diff Gears without removing my entire rear axle? 

Any suggestions ???

diag_AHU4Ce.png

Can you run a taller wheel/tyre combo....?

  • Author
3 hours ago, coln72 said:

Can you run a taller wheel/tyre combo....?

No. The factory tire settings were 165/65/12. The ones I have are 175/70/13 with extra 8 mm spacers in order for the front tires to not touch the shock absorbers. At the rear when I get some extra weight in, the tires escape the wheel arches just a few millimeters. So taller tires are not an option.

Hi Michalis,

                    Off memory, the JAP 4.31:1 ratio diff was fitted to Corollas with auto transmission.  Manual transmission models, were often fitted with 4.11:1 ratio diffs.

The  3.89:1 ratio diffs were not fitted to any Corollas as standard, from memory.  However, I am led to believe, that the Datsun 1200 & 120Y series, used the 3.89:1 ratio diffs, of the same origin as Toyota, & that if you can get hold of a 3.89:1 crown wheel & pinion set new, a good diff reconditioning company should be able to swap them over, & lap them in for you.  A lot od Datsun 1200 utes had 3.89:1 ratio diffs.

Others on this forum may be able to confirm or correct my thoughts, as I haven't actually done it myself, but I do have it on my "bucket list", as I have a KE30 with a 1.43:1 ration diff in it, that I would love to fit a 1.389:1 diff into it.

Here is a listing I found, that has a number of 3.89:1 & 3.9:1 ratio diffs

http://www.difflap.com.au/ratios/gearratios_ad.htm

Cheers Banjo 

Edited by Banjo

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.