What's going on around here?

Reddit is boring with all the major subs in blackout. Thought I'd pop on in while I'm logging into old forums to try and alleviate boredom.

Man I miss what the Internet was like in 2007 when I signed up here.

Lots of good memories. Met heaps of good people.

IMG20230610093503.thumb.jpg.c55b6eb0677d154d3119d5ecceb7b3fa.jpg

I live in a small hippie town in New Zealand now. Don't wrench anymore, way too expensive of a hobby here. I dabble in building ghetto electric low rider bikes.

Still get the occasional mod support email from someone reporting spam. Brightens my day.

Members dont see this ad

Bloody Hell !  Talk about a blast from the past.  Haven't seen You on here for 3-4 years, I reckon. 

Man I miss what the Internet was like in 2007 when I signed up here.

Yeah !  That was a long time ago.  i joined back in 2004, I think.  You were a little bit behind me, around 2008.

However, I'll never get anywhere near your posts.  8000 +  !   I haven't got to 1700 yet.

Don't knock "small hippie towns in New Zealand".  My grandfather came from Kaiapoi, just outside Christchurch, on the South Island.

..and no getting into all those Jap imports? 

I used to travel back & forwards to NZ, on business.  I used to love seeing those big ships unloading all the domestic Jap Imports, in Auckland.  Little "narrow gutted" things, because they used to charge rego on the width of a car in Japan, because the city streets were so narrow.

https://garagedreams.net/car-facts/why-are-japanese-cars-so-small

Keep in touch !

Cheers Banjo 

Edited by Banjo

Funny how many people don’t seem to know this forum exists

Plenty of people on the Facebook group, usually with the same questions getting asked.. The same questions as 10 years ago on here with all the answers. 

I still come back here from time to time to see what’s happening but it’s a shame it’s not like it was years ago. 

I have much of the FAQ and many other threads saved and printed for the day the forum no longer exists, but I’m glad it still does. 

Ha cheers.

Prices for stuff in NZ is out of control. Honestly probably cheaper to source stuff straight from Japan. 

The 2nd hand market for anything here is crazy expensive. Heck, just the cost of living here is a struggle. I know it's bad in Aussie too though.

I've got a beater Mitzy L300 van I'm slowly doing up into a camper. Just sucks getting parts as the place I'm living in is super isolated. But I'm happy to ghetto rig it together.

There's a guy local who has a sweet 4AGE AE70 sedan, and other guy with a beater AE71 wagon. Haven't convinced either of them to sell them to me cheap.

Don't actually have many pictures of it.

It's seriously a beater. But it's rust free and mechanically sound. It's had a hard life as a backpacker/festival van.

Screenshot_2023-06-26-19-27-52-86_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4.jpg.0beec6391c08ff5013030a6561c1086f.jpg

Screenshot_2023-06-26-19-26-58-33_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4.jpg.94649c0f35cee13fa89ef9b4bdda91de.jpg

That pic you posted is kinda exactly the vibe I wanna go for. My one is a bit newer and has the ugly front bumper.

Wish mine was 4x4.

But I got it for free so I'm not complaining.

There's a guy locally who's selling a bull bar to suit one pretty cheap. I think it's to suit the older style front bumper but might be able to make it work.

I think when I was young & stupid, there was a name for them, whether they were a Mitzy or any other brand.

image.png.36dc8acbe07497f2e772b2cc48648691.png

"Shaggin Waggons"

Used to be very popular with surfers.  Boards on the top !

What a line up !

If you look down the comments list in this link, There was a guy who had a Corolla "Shaggin "Waggon", at high school.

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo

• 3 months later...
On 6/14/2023 at 1:48 PM, ke70dave said:

Crikey. Blast from the past.

Eventually all the forums will disappear, and we will be back to individuals in sheds figuring stuff out on their own and not being bothered to tell anyone. 

I honestly pray that these forums will never be shut down. I just bought my first ke70 3 weeks ago and you lot have been such a big help in my quest to modify my first car. even though this forum isn't as active as it was 10-15 years ago I can assure you guys it is still as helpful as ever :)