Fuel Pumps And Surge Tanks

Des

i hear what your saying about the possible need for a timer circuit, but as others have said, unless you somehow manage to drain the surge tank, and then emediatly turn off your engine, it shouldnt be an issue?

other option is to have the lift pump run off the ignitino, and the main fuel pump run off the ECU output thing, cause i know that when i start my car i have it in ign for a few secs and then start it, just a thought?

of course have some way of making sure that the fuel pump turns off if you crash etc

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well instead of pushing the fuel up it can suck it up, Or am i talking shit and theres no way it will work ?

I reckon too much work for the same result as having outside surge tank , your lift pump is for sucking and works like a syphoning tube would , i use a CARTER lift (part number P4594 i think ) which has more flow than my high pressure pump(walbro external gsl394) so the high pressure pump won't drain the surge tank and leave the high pressure pump running dry .

lift pump = 72 gallons per hour x 4 = appprox 280 litres per hour

high pressure pump = 150 litres per house @ 30-40 psi

saying all this i am still too run my fuel system but i had researched it a fair bit and it should work fine :P

yeah mines fairly similer, I'm using a faset/puralator carby pump (same thing as a lift pump) it flows 35 gallons an hour witch works out at 2.2 liters a minute

this pump is designed to suck fuel out of the tank and supply a carb v8 so should heaps of fuel for a nasp four pot

I have a VL lift pump and I'm wanting to use a Bosch 044 so i don't have to worry about the pressure pump not providing the flow and it leaves me with modifying options later.

Bosch 044

Specs:

Performance Operates: 325 LHP

Supply voltage 13.5V

Current consumption 13A

Weight 1030g

External pump (recommended)

Connections:

Intake side M18 x 1.5

Pressure side M12 x 1.5

Electrical +:M6 / -:M5

Price $335 + $10 Express Postage.

But I'm thinking a vl lift pump wont keep up enough flow for a 044 700hp pump.

it should nt be a problem unlees youve got the car nailed for haf hour

the engine shouldn't be using that much fuel so alot of the fuel returns from the engine to the surge tank, the lift pump will just top up the fuel that has been used

the vl pump should be fine as it has to keep up with the pressure pump (in a vl) as they don't have a surge tank

if you do drain more the vl pump will top the suge up when you back off

edit;

by the way that must be a big pump, it wieghs over a kg

Edited by pozman

Yeah its pretty dam HUGE and over kill but over kill is not a bad thing in my books. It drains a decent amount of amps so how would a simple hook up be like ?

Edited by too quick

why bother, your never going to be making 700 hp in a motokhana car. or a 4agze for that matter either...

Autocross/night dirt slider. Like i said before i know its over kill but over kill is not bad in this case. And I'm leaving myself with options, maybe i want a twin turbo 1UZ-FE in the 70 which i don't but I'm leaving myself some room for upgrades alot later in its life.