Electronic Speedo

mitch13

Members dont see this ad

because the copper element in the speedo drive in the cluster has more of a tendiancy to loose its strength over 20 +++ years of work. Think about it, on the output shaft of the gearbox, theres a plastic helicoil cutt gear which the speedo cable drive runs off - unless the cog has too much backlash, (resulting in slightly unresponsive speedo?) or the actual speedo cable is foobared someway, theres really not THAT much down that end of the line = that could go wrong..

OK. Its a stock box, and stock cluster. It has a set of 15 insh wheels on it though but i don't think it would make the speedo read 20+ on the actual speed. Even if i change the speedo drive it will still be wrong so I just thought getting an electronic one would fix both problems.

Whats your guys suggestions, just leave it and guess how fast I'm going or what?

Hi,

The speedo in my KE30 went about one year ago. So I took it to an instrument place in Brisbane. The guy there rebuilt it for me cheap (forget actual price now) and he told me that gear box oil after a while works pas the seal at the end of the speedo cable in the box and slowly works its way up to the speedo. The little bit that gets there he told me eats away some rubber used in speedos and gets between the 2 spinning discs and sticking them together and makes them turn faster increasing the reading and the oil also does a few more bad things.

So this could be your problem just starting as mine was about 20KM/h out then a month later I would be in first gear and the speedo would be on the 2nd time around the clock. Was bloody funny when the mechanic drove my car he crapped him self when he read 180KM/h on the speedo in a 60 zone...lol

So get it looked at and if you replace speedo gears do seals as well as it will save replacing them a week later when they die.

Cameron