Q's Regarding 3k

Trev

umm, it will read less

4 sparks per rpm

if set to an 8 cyl motor its expecting 8 sparks per rpm

so your poopy k motor is doing 6000 rpm. this equals 400 sparks per second

a v8 at 6000 rpm would produce 800 sparks per second

therefore the tacho if hooked to poopy K motor but set to 8cyl will read 3000 rpm when real engine speed is 6000.

sorry but no, lets set some reasons/rules to this

rpm = one complete revolution where the crankshaft spins 360 degrees from the center of its axis

stroke = where the pistion travels from etheir TDC (top dead center) to BDC (bottom dead center) this equates to half a revolution from the crankshaft

now when we're talking about 4 stroke combustion engines there are 4 stroke, induction, compression, power and exhaust and since there is only one spark within those four stokes (ie power stroke), and there are 4 clylinders that means for every 'one' revolution of the crankshaft there is going to be 2 power (for a v8 there is 4 power stroke per revolution)

now you could be a smart arse and say my mum 98 camry has 4 sparks per one revolution, yes cos it waste a spark, it has two coil packs, and when one of the packs fire for a power stoke, since its connected to 2 spark plug the other power is then fired on the clylinder thats on its exhaust stroke, therefore wasting a spark, but you couldn't care less cos park plugs to today aren't that expensive* and are far superia from plugs made say 10, 20 years ago (they last longer)(*unless your an idot that buys HKS plugs for $50 each which are really NGK plugs you could buy from autobarn or supacheap for less)

Edited by S13/R32

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you fail to make a point

a tacho's needle moves depending on the number of pulses per second (or part there of) its getting.

if you tell it to expect 8 sparks per revolution of the crankshaft (in the case of setting it to a V8) but only provide it 4 sparks per revolution (coz its connected to your poopy K motor(which has 4 cylinders incase you didnt know mr new guy who hasnt introduced himself))

so if the tacho is thinking to itself 8 sparks = one revolution

the poopy K motor has to do 2 revolutions to create these 8 sparks, which means the tacho will read half the RPM the motor is actually doing....

umm, it will read less

4 sparks per rpm

if set to an 8 cyl motor its expecting 8 sparks per rpm

so your poopy k motor is doing 6000 rpm. this equals 400 sparks per second

a v8 at 6000 rpm would produce 800 sparks per second

therefore the tacho if hooked to poopy K motor but set to 8cyl will read 3000 rpm when real engine speed is 6000.

I did it to my 3k and it worked.

this is true. my mistake here i was trying to ignite the exhaust stroke :)

hehe

anyways, trev i don't see how it works

I'm confused now aswell as i did this 10year ago when i had my ke55 p/van (yes i was 11) i put a tacho in it and it idled at 3000rpm and been 11 i didnt take any notice and i was told it was wrong and to adjust the switch and when i did it went to 800rpm but tonight i got my monster tacho out of the cupboard and on idle on 4,6 & 8 it all stayed the same and i even switched it off between switch changes, maybe the tacho i had was for a boat or something.

word is, the harmonics are such that regular runs over 8000rpm will crack the block. balancing will obviously help eliminate this

honestly tho, i'd rather an engine with torque and a 7000rpm redline, than nothing down low and something you need to rev the tits off of to make power

agreed

most motors have a certain amount of torque they will produce, and you can just move this torque curve up or down depending on your cam.

more revs just means more wear.

rather than making an engine rev higher to go faster why not reduce the rolling diameter of your tires :)