5k Reduction Gear Starter Motor

Raven

Just thought I'd also post something of use to those people who love their K motors.

The following are pics of a 5K Reduction Gear Starter Motor which I picked up for a measly 75 bucks second-hand from a wrecker.

post-600-1182845776_thumb.jpg

post-600-1182845882_thumb.jpg

And yep, I havent cleaned it yet!

Edited by Raven

Members dont see this ad
Yep, thats what mine looks like too....lol

Great starter motors, one hit of the key and away she goes.... :wink:

My starter is just an off the shelf aftermarket item. Its not as chunky as the one pictured, but rather is cylindrical.

I just flick my key when the cars warm and it fires straight away.

Even when its cold, the starter cranks faster than any standard toyota starter that i have ever owned.

I doubt replacement starters would be reduction items, so maybe its got something to do with me running a 570CCA battery? I guess the size of the battery doesnt affect the initial cranking rpm, but rather the duration that it can crank for. :P

Edited by kangaroosa

I just run the early ke1x type starter motors on my 5k, it spins it over fine. The reduction type would probably be better, but meh, just think of the pain in the ass it would be to have to change a larger starter motor with extractors.

Only time I ever had a starter motor problem was when I had a pressure plate partially self destruct, and bits of metal jammed between ring gear and inside of the bellhousing, temporarily seizing the motor. I fried that particular starter motor. :P

The reduction type would probably be better, but meh, just think of the pain in the ass it would be to have to change a larger starter motor with extractors.

Its actually smaller in size than a standard early model K motor starter and weighs less too.

I'll post up comparison pics if I get a chance tomorrow.

Weight of reductiongear starter is 4.1kg . Normal one is 5.2kg

A ke10 starter is smaller than the later ke30 ones. :P I don't have decent scales but I get ~4kgs, Identical reading to 4kgs of pet food. LOL. I also run a HD 6 cyl battery.

The comparison:

post-600-1182929223_thumb.jpg post-600-1182929231_thumb.jpg

On the left is the Standard Bosch Starter Motor and on the right is the Nippon-Denso 5K Reduction Gear Starter Motor.

As you can see, there is a huge difference in the size of the motor itself.

Edited by Raven

it would appear i can't be bothered moving the mower to get to the one on the 4k laying in there. not sure what type that one is anyway.

it would also appear the one i was thinking of i must have given away with the 5k bottom end i sold. and if i have another, its lurking...somewhere.

ill keep my eyes open.