Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

5k Reduction Gear Starter Motor

Featured Replies

Just thought I'd also post something of use to those people who love their K motors.

 

The following are pics of a 5K Reduction Gear Starter Motor which I picked up for a measly 75 bucks second-hand from a wrecker.

 

post-600-1182845776_thumb.jpg

 

post-600-1182845882_thumb.jpg

 

And yep, I havent cleaned it yet!

Edited by Raven

These are good little starters, Love working on them because they are so easy to fix (Most of the time just worn contacts or plunger) Brushes last a lot longer than the contacts..

Yep, thats what mine looks like too....lol

 

Great starter motors, one hit of the key and away she goes.... :wink:

 

My starter is just an off the shelf aftermarket item. Its not as chunky as the one pictured, but rather is cylindrical.

I just flick my key when the cars warm and it fires straight away.

Even when its cold, the starter cranks faster than any standard toyota starter that i have ever owned.

 

I doubt replacement starters would be reduction items, so maybe its got something to do with me running a 570CCA battery? I guess the size of the battery doesnt affect the initial cranking rpm, but rather the duration that it can crank for. :P

Edited by kangaroosa

I just run the early ke1x type starter motors on my 5k, it spins it over fine. The reduction type would probably be better, but meh, just think of the pain in the ass it would be to have to change a larger starter motor with extractors.

 

Only time I ever had a starter motor problem was when I had a pressure plate partially self destruct, and bits of metal jammed between ring gear and inside of the bellhousing, temporarily seizing the motor. I fried that particular starter motor. :P

i swear i have one of them in the shed :P

 

who wants it

  • Author
The reduction type would probably be better, but meh, just think of the pain in the ass it would be to have to change a larger starter motor with extractors.

 

Its actually smaller in size than a standard early model K motor starter and weighs less too.

 

I'll post up comparison pics if I get a chance tomorrow.

Weight of reductiongear starter is 4.1kg . Normal one is 5.2kg

man, u guys suck

I'm gonna have to go back out into the cold to double check mine are like that. i ahve 3 or 4 of the bastards so ill check if they are reduction ones or whatever.

may just take pics

Weight of reductiongear starter is 4.1kg . Normal one is 5.2kg

 

A ke10 starter is smaller than the later ke30 ones. :P I don't have decent scales but I get ~4kgs, Identical reading to 4kgs of pet food. LOL. I also run a HD 6 cyl battery.

  • Author

The comparison:

 

post-600-1182929223_thumb.jpg post-600-1182929231_thumb.jpg

 

On the left is the Standard Bosch Starter Motor and on the right is the Nippon-Denso 5K Reduction Gear Starter Motor.

 

As you can see, there is a huge difference in the size of the motor itself.

Edited by Raven

it would appear i can't be bothered moving the mower to get to the one on the 4k laying in there. not sure what type that one is anyway.

it would also appear the one i was thinking of i must have given away with the 5k bottom end i sold. and if i have another, its lurking...somewhere.

ill keep my eyes open.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.