3sge Rwd Convert

chrisandliz

all 3g's are designed for fwd so the blocks have no provision for a rwd mount

From wikipedia.org with relation to the blacktop 3SGE BEAMS engine

"In 1998 a second version was released with dual VVT-i (variable timing on both the intake and exhaust cams), titanium valves and a slightly higher compression ratio. This engine powered the Altezza RS200 (IS200 in Aus with crappy 1G-FE) and produced around 206 bhp (154kW)."

NOTE:

It's a RWD engine

also the had a lovely 6-speed box behind them.

me thinks if you're doing a 3SGe conversion into a rolla it would be easier to use one of these motors. especially since they have much more stick than the earlier ones

Jordan

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

very cos they only came out in the lexus altezza. basically ur looking at about 5 grand for the engine 1500 or thereabouts for a aftermarket ecu, unless u wanna use the guage cluster key barrel and OEM sequential tranny

basically unelss you have 10grand in the bank or more STOP DREAMING!!!!

that will be all

Adelaide Jap had one not long ago engine, box, loom and ecu for under $4500.

While that's expencive, you get a fair bit for your $$'s invested.

Jordan

However should you want an earlier modle 3SG(T)E I've got one in a GT4 that's for sale (the whole car is for sale so you wont be missing anything.) car is drivable, engine bay and gear box are un damaged. whole car with new front brakes is $3000 ono. email on [email protected]

Adelaide Jap had one not long ago engine, box, loom and ecu for under $4500.

While that's expencive, you get a fair bit for your $$'s invested.

Jordan

However should you want an earlier modle 3SG(T)E I've got one in a GT4 that's for sale (the whole car is for sale so you wont be missing anything.) car is drivable, engine bay and gear box are un damaged. whole car with new front brakes is $3000 ono. email on [email protected]

If you want info on this log onto http://www.techmasters.com.au/forum/ and ask a few questions, this is the Improved Production Racing forum, there is a number of RWD 3s engine running around, even in ke20/25 and one is a 3sgte. Someone will be able to help you out.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Its an expensive and fidly conversion, I have done it.

Beware, Gen 2+ 3SGTE, and Gen 3+ 3SGE don't have 2 of the RWD mount lugs on the block, there not there at all. I did a Gen 3 and had to make an adpater plate, that was fun.

I have a 3SFE in an AE86, using most bits I got together for a Gen 2 3SGE. I didnt have to modify the rocker cover (I did for 3SGE). I am going to use the factory 3SFE headers, I rekon an exhaust place can make a bend to clear the mounts.

Advantage of 3SFE - Uses 2S 6 bolt flywheel straight up. Gen 1 3SG has 8 bolt small radius pattern, Gen 2+ uses 8 bolt large radius. 3SFE and some 3SG have starter on box, so ring gear faces wrong way anyways.

I got a full custom steel flywheel for the Gen 3. The Gen 2 I am working on uses a sloted Gen 1 flywheel. This is quite thin, so the clutch lever is near the end of travel.

http://www.razorbackecu.com/3S/

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 3sgte that I'm intending to put in my ke70.

Toymods is a painfull place to try find straight answers on how to convert a 3s to rwd. Most people posting on there have never tried to do the conversion however they are more than willing to tell you that cirtain part fit and they don't. They have a detailed posting on joels celica which is good, however he fabricated a lot of parts himself. Thats fine if you trust your own welding or have to much cash. I think he used a cross member and engine mounts of the corona. You would have to check that.

From my experience the hardest part is the bell housing, clutch, flywheel and starter motor.

I have seen an old celica that still used the original intake of a gt4. Bonnet still closed.

i think the hardest part is doing the conversion.

the whole thing is a giant f@$k around.

considered sr20? :jamie:

don't forget the old tapping holes in the block/making completely custom engine mount on one side...

Edited by love ke70

From wikipedia.org with relation to the blacktop 3SGE BEAMS engine

"In 1998 a second version was released with dual VVT-i (variable timing on both the intake and exhaust cams), titanium valves and a slightly higher compression ratio. This engine powered the Altezza RS200 (IS200 in Aus with crappy 1G-FE) and produced around 206 bhp (154kW)."

NOTE:

It's a RWD engine

also the had a lovely 6-speed box behind them.

me thinks if you're doing a 3SGe conversion into a rolla it would be easier to use one of these motors. especially since they have much more stick than the earlier ones

Jordan

mmmmm, BEAMS......they're ridiculously expensive though, and most of the ones that make it over here tend to end up in Clubmans (because if you're building a car from scratch you can probably afford a gun engine) and track cars.

• 2 weeks later...