4k-c Not Sparking.

Shaun

Hey fellas, just trying to figure out what the problem is with this 4k-c not sparking. It cranks over and everything but just doesnt spark, it has new spark plugs, new coil, new battery just wont fire. Old mate I'm buying it off thinks it could be an earthing problem, just wondering if anyone has come across the same problem?

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey mate,

Pull the coil lead out of the dizzy and earth it and see if that sparks if so its your dizzy thats fubard.

Start poking around with a test light and see how you go ?

If you have a ke70 repair maniel or whatever car its in start with the wiring diagrams and have a good read if you don't have one check the FAQ http://www.rollaclub.com/faq/index.php?tit...Page#Electrical

Since you didn't mention that you replaced the Distributor cap, check you still have the little spung graphite? contact that sits inside the Dizzy cap.

I once lost that little contact when i was changing my points. When you get it firing, Try and find an Electronic dizzy off of a 5k-c. I set the timing on my car 3 years ago, 80 000 kms later and it still hasn't missed a beat :'(

Hi,

Belive it or not I had this same prblem 2 times today RACQ saving me both times.

Well here goes the story:

I was driving dad to mechanic going along nicely not a sound of problem and all of a sudden motor dies stereo off so knew it wasnt that so rolled to side of the road and tried stuff to get it going again no go!!!

So I called my sister to drive up with fuel fuel incase i was empty as fuel gauge in hte KE30 is dicky (oh I also did a 4K-c swap out of a KE70 with K50 box about 2 weeks ag) but wasnt the fuel so I rang RACQ

So he fiddled around a bit and reconed it was my new tacho I installed which I swapped off too_quick was well he thinks shorting or spark jumpign throught the signal lead on to body. So with tacho removed it ran so drove home all good so first problem it was the tacho but when I got ome I plugged it back in and it ran so probably not it......

then driving home tonight from an outing car dies again so i got out played for 30min with stuff on electrics like RACQ did earlier no go.

So Il ran home as car stopped on return trip so jogged home drove honda back rang RACQ AGAIN. they came out AGAIN and it was the same guy. So he went straight ot eh electrics again. Started playing with it took dissy cap off as he said coil was fine so he moved the points ( brand new just had car major service after doign motor swap). After a bit he said to crank it over NOTHING.....

So then he moved wires in the dizzy that goes to the earth block and has the wire running out of the dizzy which is an earth. Then he said crank it again. Cranked it walla it went so fault this time was..............

A small bakerlight insulator on the dissy housing which this wire runs through. As it has broken apart with age so the spark when it the wire slightly moves jumps through there instead so motor has no spark all of a sudden and causing the motor to die so cheak ALL THE EARTHS in the dizzy as it will be a electrical fault as man K motors can be flogged to the shit hosue and still run so will be a small minor problem

Cameron

Hi,

Well I have found spark when ever we were trying the HT lead near a bolt so no good. As on the side of a K dissy where the earth lead goes to earth the points and condenser I replaced it as I found a crack that went through the ceramic insulator and this was probably causign the coil to earht and no spark and then car would just die. But I have got this problem to the dizzy at least so if it happens again I will know where to look.

ALso how hot willa resistor get while the car is well running for say 5min and you feel it as well mine was warm to hot so might be problem as resistance goes up but ill keep this in mind.

But I just replaced my points in the dizzy when I got a full cheak over from a mechanic freind at his shop he spent all day on it about 2 weeks ago after doing the 4K swap so it isnt my points.

But on a side note a holden 6 dizzy is well pretty much the same so I got dads out and found there insulator block is rubber and fits a corolla so probably better than having a weak breakable ceramic insulator there so might be a future change.

Cameron

I found out ive got a rooted clutch or it just needs adjusting because it isnt disengaging. I'm about to go out the smorning and check to see if the dizzy is alright if it isnt i got another spare here and hopefully that one is ok and ill replace it.

Edited by Shaun

Ok, so i replaced the dizzy the smorning, still the same problem, although when i put the other one in it made a different sound when i tried to crank it over like it was about to spark or something. So now I'm a bit stumped as to what it could be, brand new coil and now dizzy (not brand new). could it be the spark plug leads to the dizzy ya reckon?

mate, have you taken a lead with a spark plug in the end of it, held it with a pair of pliers, starting cranking the motor and brought the plug close to an exposed bolt in the engine bay?

if you havnt you don't KNOW its not sparking

if you have, you havnt told us

whats your location btw

Yes i have tried that and there was no spark coming from coil lead or spark plug or the head bolt.

try that with the new one as well ... if you've got spark now then

1) blame the old distributor

2) you've probably got the replacement in a tooth or two out

try twisting the distributor left and right to see if it improves the "sounds like it might be going to start" situation

Either way, diagnosis is very different depending on whether you have spark or not.

NO spark - chase reason for no spark

YES spark - probably timing problem

Slapper