Gearboxes ! ! ! !

olskool

Ok. I need a bit of help. I have finally got my 4age home and I have begun tinkering with it and the parts that I have. I bought a 2tg engine ages ago and a gearbox came with it. The guy I bought it off said that the 2tg had the same block as the 4age. Turns out he was very wrong. Anyway, the gearbox that came with it has a bit of work, like short shifter and a slight rebuild so I don't want to waste it.

Now, the question is this. If I was to sort out a T50 gearbox bellhousing would it bolt onto the gearbox from the 2tg. Just to quickly pop it into this thread, if anyone has one please PM me. Another question is this. What gearbox do I actually have. It came straight off a 2tg. It is a 5 speed box, and another way of identifying it is the following. It has a hydraulic clutch. All of the gears including reverse are in their usual spots. Only thing is that to actually get into reverse you have to pull the gearstick up and then place it into reverse. It has a little lockout pictured below. So if anyone could help me out with this situation it would be much appreciated.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k209/ols...olla/cutout.jpg

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

theres actually a few variants of the t50, maybe someone should do a writeup :hmm:

ta22 t50

t18 t50

sprinter t50 aus

sprinter t50 import

any more?

anyone know the differences?

some info comes to mind:

*edit - this info below is going to be edited so i can do a writeup guide, feel free to add, correct or modify*

theres a 20 and 22 spline output that distinguish the two boxes apart

20 spline = early gearbox from ta22(2t/2tg)

22 spline = late gearbox from t18 (3tc), sprinter (4ag)

all t50 gearboxes split case alloy, 4 castings (bellhousing, 2 halves and shifter extension)

4 speed = t40, 5 speed = t50

t18 has a longer shifter housing but is interchangable

22 spline is stronger 1st and 2nd gear

bellhousings are different ta22 / ae86 / t18

bellhousings are interchangable

4ag adm / jdm difference

t18 has different bellhousing to celica as in piviot point is different i found out

bellhousings and shifter housings are interchangable

can't use a 22 spline for a 20 spline or visa - versa unless changing tailshaft or weld new yoke on old shaft

20 spline for 200hp driven sensibly or 150 driven harshly

22 spline for 250 hp driven sensibly or 180 driven harshly

clutch friction plate the same splines and size

flywheels will fit some boxes but not others due to some being larger.

early box has smaller front bearing and later box has a bigger front bearing

shifters and shifter housings are different with t18, ta22, 4ag

output seals not the same 20 spline and 22 spline

clutch setup not interchangable unless flywheel the same

early gearboxes are shorter in length and later gearboxes are longer in length

front seal is the same

gearbox ratios

short shift kits avaliable as well as replacement nylon gearstick bush

early t50 input shaft smaller tip, later t50 input shaft bigger tip

not sure on all of this but id like to know so help out if you can!

Edited by styler

Power ratings on gearbox's mean nothing, I could drive around with a stock T50 on a 200hp 4age and never break it and then i can drive it around with a stock 4ac and i could break it easy as. Its all down to how you drive it, You flog it it will die you drive like grandpa and will last a long time. Shock loading kills gearbox's not so much the power unless you stick a T-50 on a 1UZ :hmm: .

ADM T-50 clutch slave on passengers side.

JDM T-50 clutch slave on drivers side away from hot exhaust.

Power ratings on gearbox's mean nothing, I could drive around with a stock T50 on a 200hp 4age and never break it and then i can drive it around with a stock 4ac and i could break it easy as. Its all down to how you drive it, You flog it it will die you drive like grandpa and will last a long time. Shock loading kills gearbox's not so much the power unless you stick a T-50 on a 1UZ :hmm: .

ah yeah i am aware of that, i mean sensibly or harshly in common sense form...

like driving it hard as opposed to trying to thrash it as hard as possible.

if you drive any average modded car like you want to break it, you probably will,

like side stepping the clutch constantly for a standstill burnout etc...

shock loading ftw on gearbox deaths lol!

Edited by styler

Wow now that is a lot of info to take in. Thanks heaps guys. Much appreciated. So basically I want to opt for the 22 spline gearbox. So if I was to go to say pick n payless or even ichiban etc. what exactly would I ask for. Would it be best just asking for a jdm box to make the search easy and the conversion less painful. If I was to ask for the jdm box would it be a straight bolt on to the engine, with no mods at all.

• 2 weeks later...
They DO NOT LAST behind a 4A. You'll be replacing the front seal every month or so.

that is absolute bs dude they are EXACLY the same box (except output shaft) the front seal will not need replacement every month, i have compared the standard 2t and 4a bellhousings and the rear mounting surface is EXACTLY the same

i know theres a 21 and 22 spline input that distinguish the two boxes apart

split case alloy / steel case

t18 has a longer shifter housing but is interchangable

22 spline is stronger

sprinters need 22 spline cos 21 spline leaks and isnt as strong

t18 has different bellhousing to celica as in piviot point is different i found out

adm and jdm bellhousings, starter or slave swap sides or both swap

can't use a 22 spline for a 21 spline or visa - versa unless changing clutch friction plate

21 spline for 200hp driven sensibly or 150 driven harshly

22 spline for 250 hp driven sensibly or 180 driven harshly

well its clear you don't know at all, cos its 20 and 22 spline, and that is the OUTPUT shaft. clutch plate slines are the same i have a fuking celica t50 hanging off my 20v go figure dude?

and again the 20 spline is the same strenght as a f@$kin 22 spline. those last 2 lines of your post are also bullshit, as is most of the information in this thread, in your whole post there are only 4 points that make sense and they are

adm and jdm bellhousings, starter or slave swap sides or both swap

/rant