5k Pushrods

Yeshi

Gday everyone,

I'm just after a bit of info about the 5K pushrods, bit of background info first.

Ive got a KE20 daily with a 5K and after a bit of spirited driving (over rev) ive got a loud knock in my engine.

I initially thought it might be a big end bearing mainly because it was quite loud, however it is only there after around 3-4k rpm and not apparent under load, so

i think its probably a bent pushrod.

Are the 3K pushrods the same size as the 5K? or can i only use 5K ones?

Is there anyone in Adelaide that has some good condition 5K (or 3K if they fit) pushrods?

Cheers

Members dont see this ad

If your diagnosing a problem, and you think you have it, & then you start buying things to try and fix a problem your not even 100% on.. hymm... id be taking it down to a local mechanic to get it looked if i was you.

But to anwser your question, no, they are no where near the same. 3k / 4k - solid lifters. 5k - Hydrolic lifters. If you had a 5k with solid lifters; well, lets just say your either very lucky or you would already know you had solid lifters :jamie:

Sounds like piston slap to me. I had a 4A-C that would knock around 3000-4000rpm.

yes like he said, but also in saying that if it was an over rev on a down change you may have stretched the pin hole of the piston.

When we used to make v8 supercar pistons and they coped an over rev down change it would rip the bottum out of the piston out.

A bee`s dick loose(like 5 tenths of a thou") pin in a vl commo will rattle at 3000-4000 and then stop.

Hope its pushrods Eagles have custom pushrods for chevs but they`ll fit anything as they get diff diams and custom lengths to suit.

Good luck with your prob not wanting to scare you just givving different options.

stu.

Cheers for the replies guys, Ill have to scourer the wreckers for some 5K's rods and if that doesnt fix it ill take it to my mechanic.

Sounds like piston slap to me. I had a 4A-C that would knock around 3000-4000rpm.

Great! If thats the case ill have two slappers! My twin turbo LS1 thats nearly finished started slapping a while ago.

Sounds alot louder in the rolla though.

It wasn't down shifting, it was reving the ring out of it being a dick!

I bent a pushrod in my 5k at the start of last year, think it was a stuck valve or something...

It was a major hassle to replacement rods ordered in from my Toyota dealer here, and we ordered in 2 sets before giving up cause they were all the wrong length for a 5k.

I searched all the local wreckers here in Wollongong, with no luck.

Ended up ordering a brand new set from Crow Cams in Victoria, who as it turns out make after market Chromoly 5k pushrods, ball to ball, with the oil hole for hydraulic lifters.

Think the whole set was like $120 bucks or something, and they turned up the next day.

Best to order from Crow Cams direct, as Repco and other places wanted ridiculous amounts for the same product.

If you just need one replacement rod for your 5k I have a few second hand ones at home. Send us a message and Ill post one down to you.

Davros

I bent a pushrod in my 5k at the start of last year, think it was a stuck valve or something...

It was a major hassle to replacement rods ordered in from my Toyota dealer here, and we ordered in 2 sets before giving up cause they were all the wrong length for a 5k.

I searched all the local wreckers here in Wollongong, with no luck.

Ended up ordering a brand new set from Crow Cams in Victoria, who as it turns out make after market Chromoly 5k pushrods, ball to ball, with the oil hole for hydraulic lifters.

Think the whole set was like $120 bucks or something, and they turned up the next day.

Best to order from Crow Cams direct, as Repco and other places wanted ridiculous amounts for the same product.

If you just need one replacement rod for your 5k I have a few second hand ones at home. Send us a message and Ill post one down to you.

Davros

Thanks mate i might take you up on that offer!

Bloody hard finding 5K's at wreckers now, PM sent.

had a 5K rattle like that which everyone swore that it was a cracked piston. It even diappeared when you removed the plug lead on that cylinder. So we stripped it down, found nothing other than a cracked inlet manifold runner. Hell an engine reconditioner said he would reuse the same pistons which we didnt. Seemed that the pressure variations were causing the manifold to make the noise.

Edited by coln72

• 2 weeks later...

*Update*

Ok, first thanks to Davros for the replacement pushrods but.......

When i finally got around to checking it today i found out that i have solid lifters in my 5K. Ball to cup and about 1 inch longer than the hydraulic lifter pushrods!!! All the rods looked fairly straight, some wobbled a couple of thou when i rolled them but overall looked good. I thought 5K's were noisy because there old, but i guess it was the solids!

There was a little bit of play between the cups and the lifters when the valve was fully closed, what is considered acceptable?

I think i will take it to my mechanic on the weekend to find out the problem, as i don't have the time or facilities to rip it apart.

There was a little bit of play between the cups and the lifters when the valve was fully closed, what is considered acceptable?

COLD

Inlet 0.003

Exhaust 0.007

HOT

Inlet 0.008

Exhaust 0.012

I chewed up 2 cams and 2 complete sets of lifters in my 5K before we got it sorted. Hopefully you just have a case of too much clearance in the lifter adjustment. Check that the pedestal is bolted down tight too.

So if Yeshi's 5k head has solid lifters, is there any way of adjusting the valve clearance,

or would you have to get the rocker posts machined down?

I have got hydraulic lifters in my 5k, but I was thinking of changing to solid lifters...Which probably means new pushrods as well??

Edited by Davros El Davros