May 3, 200719 yr comment_175610 Well, here it goes, (excuse my drunkenness and i write this up, Thank god for spell check.) I've been collecting parts for this car for over 6 months now and I've finally decided to write up a thread. I'll start with the first one. I named her Skanky-Loue cause i liked the sound of the name and because of the skanky 4K engine. I bought her on the 16th of October 2006 with the full intention of doing her up. I started to strip her back and planned to have the rust cut out then repaint her myself in Ford XR-5 Orange. I planned on making her look like a 1981 model KE55, the one with the square headlights. I never liked the square headlight look but over time it had grown on me. I like the tidiness that it brings, plus it looks best on a Hardtop. Other factors were that the 81 model had all the extras and i wanted attach all these modifications to it. I must admit that what started it for me was "Rolla's" KE55's headlights & bumpers, that's the look I'm after. That and the 81 models tail lights look far better than the round ones that come with the other models. The red KE55 on arrival. (SL1) The read KE55 (SL1) In her final resting place. Beginning to pull SL1 apart. SL1 All covered up without wheels. this is funny. Living on a main road bought so much attention to this car. While no ones home, (Or people thinking no ones home) some people felt compelled to view what was under the tarp. Was furious when i found out people were touching my car while i wasn't home. Me mate Des helping me remove the "Skanky" 4K with the help of Med Mans Engine Crane. Engine almost out. Engine GONE Due to my crappy gravel driveway, we used the wheel barrow to transport the engine. Oh and Med Man's Carine helped a lot too. :hmm: As you can see, the tire is flat :S The old dash and molested fascia. Before junking the Skank i had to try something out. I'm not a fan of dash mounted toggle switches so i wanted to see if i could place several Demister switches in place. It worked well. A bit off topic but i thought I'd add in this find of mine. Its a Overdrive switch from a Crown. Pity i don't have a 4 speed auto. Just before replacing SL1 i bought the plates that I wanted to go with the car. Black with Silver writing. So my mate Cameron was selling his 1980 KE55 hardtop. I went and had a view and fell for it. It had a lot less rust than SL1 and i felt it would be better. Skanky-Loue 2 at Cameron's the day i viewed it (and payed deposit, towing fee for his new KE17 Sprinter.) SL2 on arrival to my house. Another angle. GROUP SHOT. All i needed was one pair of jumper leads and Lolla. She is such a reliable car. To be CONTINUED Edited May 3, 200719 yr by JiP_01 Report
May 3, 200719 yr Author comment_175616 Well here we go. Its time to make changes to the car. Since i like the 81 model i can begin changes with all the parts i have collected in the past 6 months. (That's half a garage of parts). thanks to Redwarf for the headlights and one of the 81 model grills I've collected. First up... Old front end. Change of bonnet. Change of Apron. All the blue parts came from a Hardtop i found at the wreckers. I became known there cause i hollowed out almost everything from that car. eg diff $10 New headlights. More to come like 81 Model Door trims (not sure if I'll fit them, don't like the look, But like the pockets), Seats, overrated dash, A/C, tail lights, SL1's Boot and drivers door. I'll see how much i can get done today with my hang over. :S To Be Continued... Edited May 3, 200719 yr by JiP_01 Report
May 3, 200719 yr comment_175617 Shot gun 4k from SL1 and some other parts :S Oh yeah nice coupe. Edited May 3, 200719 yr by AE70 Report
May 4, 200719 yr Author comment_175651 **UPDATE** Well today i got out and did some work on the back end. This is a photo of the old boot and tail lights. The boot had no lock and was easy for someone to break in to it. A pic of the new boot which i got from SL1. Lastly, the 81 model tail lights which i got from FLAT OUT (Casey). Sadly they are useless without the wiring in both tail lights. I'll have to track some down closer to home. Next to come are the 81 model seats which are awaiting installation. To be continued... Edited May 4, 200719 yr by JiP_01 Report
May 4, 200719 yr comment_175658 Lookin good Jon, The square light front certianly looks a hell of alot better than the assy look round light front. Report
May 4, 200719 yr comment_175660 yeah I don't know whats with people changing from square to round! :hmm: personally I think the square fronts look heaps better!! :S Report
May 12, 200719 yr Author comment_176826 **UPDATENESS** Well, needing to make space in the garage to that i can get a whole car worth of KE50 parts in. So i decided to rip out the old seats and put in the ones i bought. I forgot to take a before pic :yes: I hate it when i do that. But anyway, i took a pic of the seats so you can get the feeling of how they looked. Old Front- New Front- Old Back- New Back- Sadly this one came out blured. I'm missing the drivers seat cause when i bought it i didn't realise that due to the accident the car was in the seat buckled and twisted. :) Looks like i'll be goign to the wreckers on Tuesday for a replacement. This has gotten me thinking about what i should do when i have the interior re-trimmed. I was wanting black door trims, black seats and the car is going to be a metalic orange. But the current trims have grown on me and gotten me thinking. I would have the seats done in this colour and have the headrests black, yes?? Would match how these trims look. Report
May 12, 200719 yr comment_176830 Stuff the round. lol square all the way man, it suits it Jip. Good job. Love the 55 bonet and skirt too Report
May 12, 200719 yr Author comment_176862 Yeah well i can't actually put sedan lights on a Hardtop can I. Plus these lights are as close to sedan lights as i'll get. Report
May 12, 200719 yr comment_176878 Comin along nice JIP, makes it easier when u have 2 cars to pic parts from, **wishing i had 2 cars** well keep up the good work mate, btw i like the square headlights on the hardtop, it suites Cheers Myles Edited May 12, 200719 yr by 10ROLLA Report
May 15, 200719 yr Author comment_177283 Thanks guys for all your comments. Today i visited the Land Of Corolla's. I picked up a new front seat. Now all thats left is re-trimming. Anyone with ideas?? All black or that Cream with alittle black, like head rests?? Report
Please sign in to comment
You will be able to leave a comment after signing in
Sign In Now