Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Welded Diff's In Ke70s

Featured Replies

also welding a borgy is a pain in the ass and will break shit, if you do random burnouts all over the place

Hey hey

 

i was talking to my dad about weilding my diff and he says no way because welds can snap. So he told me that its better to get led (like from fishing sinkers) and melt it all up and poor it into the diff housing. It wont snap and if u want your old diff back all you have to do is heat the led up again and poor it back out. :bash:

Hey hey

 

i was talking to my dad about weilding my diff and he says no way because welds can snap.

Not if it's done properly. A good plated and welded diff will never break the welds. Everything else tends to let go after a while though. I've never had a weld let go, mine usually did the pinion gears.

 

So he told me that its better to get led (like from fishing sinkers) and melt it all up and poor it into the diff housing. It wont snap and if u want your old diff back all you have to do is heat the led up again and poor it back out. :bash:

 

Lead is too soft. I know someone who did an aluminium pour into one, and that was effective for a while. The best way is still to weld them and plate them.

Edited by Redwarf

Hi,

 

I own an ae71 with a locker. It's mainly used for track/drift/spirited driving, so I find the locker to be a good idea, at least untill I save enough to get a decent lsd/lower diff ratio for my t series I have. If your driving your car everyday it will piss you off very very quickly - 3 point turns suck hard in a locked diff vehicle.

 

That said if you are going to compete in any sort of motorsport lock it up, if you're pushing hard on the track I feel an open diff is going to bite you - it is unpredictable and doesn't allow you to properly control a slide. Also after doing a hill climb with an open diff I would never do it again, if your looking to runa decent time you won't do it with an open diff.

 

NOTE: this is what I have found in my travels, I am no expert, but this is what I have foudn works for me. I say weld it up, rolla diffs are cheap and there is nothign stoppping you from putting an open diff back in there

They force the car to understeer on entry into the corner, but fun oversteer prevails on exit.

 

Compression lock drifting is excellent with them.

 

Parking is shit.

 

 

To sum up, great for a weekend rally car/paddy basher with small power, shit for anything else.

Not if it's done properly. I good plated and welded diff will never break the welds. Everything else tends to let go after a while though. I've never had a weld let go, mine usually did the pinion gears.

 

 

Ditto - usually end up as metal shavings in the bottom of the housing. Last one the biggest piece i found was less than a third of a gear.

 

We have never plated ours, but we weld the pinion gears to each other and the diff carrier as well. This gives more weld area. We also use stainless rods to do the welds.

yea you are goin to snap other things before a weld goes, just weld it and get it out of your system

Whether you should lock the diff or not, can all be decided upon by one question.

 

Do you have Insurance? If yes, then don't lock it.

 

If you decide to lock it, then you may as well cancel your insurance and spend your refund on getting the diff locked.

in my personal opinion i reckon its so dodgy, for daily driving id leave it open and if ya going to drift it buy a proper LSD i wouldnt muck with it.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.