2007 Corolla

Des

In my new job i get to drive new Toyota's, And i got to drive the new 2007 Corolla, Yaris, Camry and other makes like Hyundai Mitsubishi and maybe some fords soon.

The 2007 Corolla sedan.

Looks more like a camry to me and is a bit bigger.

Dual VVT-i

Ours are auto's but I'm suprised how good a 4 cylinder auto can go.

post-1746-1181521038.jpg

Picks up pretty dam well for an auto, I'd definatly buy one in a manual. The have a normal accelerator not like the yaris.

Comment ?

Edited by AE70

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bland.

Go drive the competitors and you'll see that other manufacturers are ahead of Toyota in a lot of areas. We're (Mrs Dwarf and myself) are looking for a new car at the mo, and the Corolla didn't even make the short list.

You've no idea how much it hurts me to say that. :wink:

Edited by Redwarf

Dual VVT-i

Ours are auto's but I'm suprised how good a 4 cylinder auto can go.

Picks up pretty dam well for an auto, I'd definatly buy one in a manual. The have a normal accelerator not like the yaris.

Comment ?

Someone once said to me not to do the E7 GTE an auto as it will be boring, Did you keep your foot flat on lift and change gears and not lose alot of power :wink:

I don't like the new style that toyota has come up with and they let them selves down in the engine when the direct competitor i.e. the honda civic has a 2ltr v-tec motor which sorry to tell you guys. But having work for toyota and then switching to work for honda the civic has it all over the corolla. Performance wise.

Bland.

Go drive the competitors and you'll see that other manufacturers are ahead of Toyota in a lot of areas. We're (Mrs Dwarf and myself) are looking for a new car at the mo, and the Corolla didn't even make the short list.

You've no idea how much it hurts me to say that. :wink:

Compared to the other cars i drive at work ie, Hyundai accent, Yaris, Elantra, Magna, Gets, 2005-2006 Corolla's and a new Hiace van, The Corolla kills all of those listed but yeah i haven't driven any thing from Honda except dads mower.

Des :no2:

PS: The Hiace goes quite well but handles like a boat but you get that from a van.

It's direct competition as I see it are: Mazda 3, Civic/ Accord, VW Golf, Astra, Focus, Pug 207, Clio.

Driven them all. They all have pros and cons, but most are a superior product to the Corolla. A couple are outstanding value.

Toyota may actually be releasing a 2L version, as they are about to release the new 3ZR-FE and 3ZR-FAE (yes, FAE) engines. They are both 11986cc versions of the new ZR series (bore and stroke as yet unknown outside Toyota). The 3ZR-FE has Dual VVT-i, 105kW@5,600rpm and 194Nm@3,900rpm. The 3ZR-FAE is still Dual VVT-i with 16 valves, but has a new infinitely variable valve operation system called Valvematic. This system is apparently very similar to BMW's Valvetronic, but hopefully has less weight, as Valvetronic limits maximum rpm to 7,000 due to the extra valvetrain mass (hence you don't see it on any M-car engines). The 3ZR-FAE produces 118kW@6,200rpm and 196Nm@4,400rpm. I get the feeling that the 3ZR-FAE will be the 2ZZ-GE replacement, but I could be wrong.

1ZR-FE - 80.5mm x 78.5mm, 92kW@6,000rpm, 157Nm@5,200rpm

2ZR-FE - 80.5mm x 88.3mm, 100kW@6,000rpm, 175Nm@4,400rpm

3ZR-FE - ?mm x ?mm, 105kW@5,600rpm, 194Nm@3,900rpm

3ZR-FE - ?mm x ?mm, 118kW@6,200rpm, 196Nm@4,400rpm

Oh I agree entirely. The only really good thing about the car is it's drivetrain. The engine seems to be a good unit, and because the six speed gearbox is a C-series, six speed conversions on FWD Corollas will become cheaper (apparently the six speed assembly for C-series transmissions fits inside the casing for 5-speed C-series transmissions).

Mazda 3 = choppy and skittish, and yet still manages to feel heavy, interior feels like the inside of darth vader's helmet

Civic = Uninspiring in base (corolla pricing) spec, extortionate service and maintainance costs, crash one, big $$$

Accord = Different class, extra 20k for the only spec worth buying, Euro is a very nice bit of kit in 5sp if you have the coin

Golf = Deceptively heavy and sluggish in price comparitive spec, but build quality is typical VW (ie: good)

Astra = Everything falls off at precisely 60 000ks, thats if you haven't understeered into a tree by then

Focus = Once again, base spec is an absolute lump of unremarkable dreck, we have 3 in different spec and at any one time, one is broken, or in service with a mystery undiagnosable fault

Peugeot 207 = AVOID LIKE THE f@$kING PLAGUE unless you find comfort in the knowledge your precious new pug will be safely locked away in the service department for weeks on end having its myriad problems diagnosed and fixed. That being said, I have one for sale and its a convertible with 8000ks on the clock, But it this week and I'll throw in some whips and thumbscrews cos you're obviously a sadomasochist

Clio = Bah... box with a wheel on each corner, Ugly as french women, Clio sport is a ripper but lotsa $$$

To summarise, I think we're all expecting a bit much from the humble corolla.... I would still buy one, especially as a daily or fleet vehicle. Why? Running costs, resale, reliabilty. I've driven a few variants of the 07, (there's about 80 of them around my shed) and whilst they're not the most amazing car I've ever driven, the drivetrain feels stronger, the steering feels safer and the whole car just has that typical toyota air of reassurance about it. The competition may have more bells and whistles and swoopy bits and cooler looking lights in the dash but the toyota just FEELS better. Take any of the europeans out and give them a good flogging... and I mean a DAMN good flogging... and you can practically see things snapping and falling off onto the road behind you. Not so with the rolla. Obviously not many people are going to cane the snot out of their car like that every day, but it serves to illustrate a point.

And at the end of the day, if I'm buying a small/medium 4 door hatch/sedan, I'm not looking to buy a sportscar, I'm buying something that won't f@$k up and cost me as much money either in maintainance or depreciation.

Rolla FTW

Another good deal on at the moment is the runout lancer $19.900 , 2.4l mivec ( go's very well , very torquey ), suade/leather seats ,alloys and shit like that .

my dad is buying one and we went and test drove one last weekend , i was quite impressed

Do notice however, I didn't mention the Tiida. That thing is..... well, basically not worth mentioning.

Agrre with most of what you've said. Let's face it, if you own a French car and something goes wrong (which it will), you just have to shrug and go "it's French."

For a car at the 30K mark, our money (well, the leasing company's) is going on either a 3 or a Golf.

You're right about one thing, if you have a fleet, Rolla's are the way to go, however as a personal car, I just can't bring myself to do it. It's just so...... beige.