Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

4age Carb'd

Featured Replies

I'm pretty sure I could make a one off proto-type pretty cheap, I'm keen to have a go, there'd be heaps of carby turbo people who could make real good use a setup like this. I'll do a post and see how much interest there is tomorrow.

  • Replies 44
  • Views 95.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So whats the go with running a distributor on one of these bad boys?

 

I've seen electronic K motor distributors with adapter-plates set-up in them, but what other options are out there and how would you go about converting a distributor from some other model car over?

so beerhead.. whats gonna be the trigger..?? custom crank sensor or the distributor itself..?? its good to hv a simple bolt-on kinda setups..

 

then perhaps you could teach me how to do that.. (I'm from far awy.. pitty me) hehehehehe

Yeah the idea would be to use a small PIC to take the distributor signal. It would take the inputs and use a program to trigger the coils at set advance/retard. I had a bit of a read and I'm pretty sure it can be done quite cheap. To get it to work on a 4K would be pretty easy too, either a 7K distributor or fit 4A pickups to the 4K dizzy.

i'm lost at the ig-module/igniter got even more wires here.. how u plan to do it..?? i bet it will work on any engines as well right..??

you could quite easily run coil packs for this setup with an ignition only programmable ECU. you would of course need a crank signal, which could be rigged up off the original dizzy when left in its place. As for the carby job, in Japan it is quite a popular setup to run especially on AE86. there should even be ready made manifolds available to do the job. Try Redline performance as they specialise in this sort of application...

Ignition only ecu is the go, problem is the expense, a crane unit is $500, I think loveKE70's one was in excess of 700 bucks to run his LPG 1GGTE. I'm pretty certain building an ignition only ecu is quite easy, and If I can have them available for under 200 bucks I reakon there would be a market.

ignition only ecu..? almost rare item... hv beerhead custom made em..

u never know... that coil-pack stuff looks cool mannn... plus a branded plug cables and neatly mount coils... pheeewwwww..

 

...sometimes looks can be deceiving..

You will never beat well matched and tuned injection anytime ever, unless you have some special secret that the car companies don't know.\

 

 

Have a look at the cosworth BDA (on which the 4AG is fairly heavly based) Twin 48DCOE webers and 240+hp to boot.

 

Cheers

Jordan

 

P.S: Ignition only computer would be uber cool and I'd buy one.

SO.. Mr.B..?? wont u built some prototypes IG module for us..?? i will be glad to promote it... even make a site for it.. anything u say... anything..??? hmmm :n:

Ah well, now we've got a couple of people keen i'll have a proper look into it over the next week. First model will only be compatible with reluctance sensors so a 7K dizzy should make it work on a K motor, smallport/modified bigport dizzy on a 4AGE. I'll make it fire 4 pulses per 720. Like this you'll be able to run single, wasted and individual coils on a 4 banger. I reakon you can't go past Camry or celica late model individual coils on a 4A, such a neat install.

 

I did some research the other day into allowing a serial/USB interface to let you set the timing on the programmable ecu.

I'd have to write a little program to allow simple modification of the advance/retard, should be possible though.

 

I'll keep everyone posted on the progress. I need to get an old 4K on an engine stand to trial it on though. Dang more junk.

I started my research into this tonight, and guess what I found for all you peeps with carby setups !

 

DIY Ignition only ECU

 

Not really worth the effort making one from scratch considering someone else has done it already, at a really affordable price. These kits do what I was wondering may be necessary - Vaccum / TPS VS RPM for the timing control.

 

 

MegaJolt Lite Jr. - Complete kit (MAP sensor option)

$89.00

 

MegaJolt Lite Jr. - Assembled (MAP Sensor)

$161.00

 

I really don't know much about there product, and shouldn't be recommending it to people without using it myself, but If your a die hard carby fan, this may make all your dreams come true.

Edited by beerhead

get it to work with c.o.p setup with using only the dizzy for triggering.. MegaJolt Jr. impossible..??

Edited by bullet79

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.