Philbeys Ke16 2 Door Wagon.

philbey

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeh ke 20 ones are not easy to get. The first one I got I trimmed off the 2 ends, but in hindsight I shouldn't have trimmed the pump end, just the radiator end. Felix, I looked again last night, I definitely need the spacers between the radiator and the support, my top tank only just clears the top cross brace.

I ended up putting an 840mm fan belt on, I had to take the pump pulley off to do it, but it was well clear. Tight as, I will change to an 850 because I had no movement in the alternator! I'll probably ben the waterpump shaft haha.

How does it go? I got in a couple of laps around the block but it's tuning time, It's a bit flat and sounds out of tune. I need to redo the timing, I timed it sans-tacho and then discovered it was idling ~1800-2200. Hence, I'm probably running too much retard at the moment. Also, carbs aren't balanced and after fiddling with the balance shafts and the bleed, this is likely out. Literature I've read says a lot of apparent problems with jetting and tune can often be due to the Balance being off. Exhaust is a bit tractorish, but the intake is also very noisy, likely due to the timing retard (too late, can hear ignition through the carbs??)

All you Dellorto owners...

I thought I'd jst mention a little trick I found on my Dells when I started my car running. As mentioned^ the idle was high to start with, after a bit of investigation, I noticed an interesting little trick that you could use to crudely balance the carbs....

Firstly, my carbs were not set up with the correct idle screw arrangement, probably from using a generic aftermarket linkage kit.

Dellorto tuning manuals etc recommend that you back off the throttle shaft balance screw all the way in the initial setup. What I found is that the return springs on my carbs pull the secondary carb butterflies back into place, so that it's fully closed etc.

The spring pin on the shaft balance screw then overcomes the return springs and forces the Primary carb open slightly, creating the high idle.

I was actually able to wind in the balance screw to the point where the butterflies on the primary carb were also fully closed which, in theory, should give you a fairly close balance.

I then installed a small bracket to allow me to use the correct idle adjust screw.

Might put this as a tip in the FAQ.

TP.

• 2 weeks later...

Took it for a more thorough drive today before It goes to the dyno. Ended up boiling, so the rad's going to get pulled out and cleaned.

Goes quite well, although it's pinging a bit in the top. I put premium in it as well but still pinging. 12 degree static timing, I might pull that back to 10 if it will idle right.

I think the tacho needs a calibration, otherwise it revs to 7 grand very easily! Not sure yet.

Pulls reasonably well, loud as hell. Some exhaust leak.

the tacho sounds like my aftermarket one.

i had it wired in for 6months, then installed a te27 cluster.

aftermarket wired up separately from the loom, te27 cluster driven by the stock loom.

the aftermarket one was showing more revs than the te27 cluster. about 700 more rpm at 7000 (te27 cluster showing ~6300)

aftermarket is possibly more accurate than 35yo stock wiring, but really have no way of checking accuracy of either.

i just pulled the aftermarket one out and haven't looked back since :dance:

doesn't help much, just some info...

dF

• 1 month later...

Well I fiddled with the fan a bit more and got it working properly, fixed my overheating issues.

Car's driving fine and dandy now. Took it to Carline Exhausts on Marion Road, he ran 2 inch from the extractor collector back (flanged the extractors) with a hotdog and a lukey muffler. Top job, the thing has a nice note without being stupidly loud!

Only thing is that the induction noise is still damn loud. I think I might make up an airbox with a pod on it.....

Well I fiddled with the fan a bit more and got it working properly, fixed my overheating issues.

Car's driving fine and dandy now. Took it to Carline Exhausts on Marion Road, he ran 2 inch from the extractor collector back (flanged the extractors) with a hotdog and a lukey muffler. Top job, the thing has a nice note without being stupidly loud!

Only thing is that the induction noise is still damn loud. I think I might make up an airbox with a pod on it.....

I saw you driving this yesterday morning on Sturt Road, looks the goods :party:

We should, I'll measure up the carbs properly tonight (been slack) and sort out a filter, then next week I'll swing by Blackwood dyno. It's definitely running lean at the moment though, so its not going to get driven hard until that's rectified.

• 1 month later...

Ok, got the Uniflow air filter into the car. I got a custom 36mm tall item, they can do any height you want.

I drilled the baseplate and fitted it up. I was considering offsetting it upward but I don't think it would have made that much difference. The actual body of the filter doesn't touch the strut tower but the foam is squished against it in one spot. No noticeable performance issues.

Its got a main element and then there's a "sock" that pulls over the whole assembly, really easy to remove and clean. Quite impressed with it overall, and it's about the only thing that will fit in a KE1x with non uprighted motor! Any bigger and it's a no go.

Car is at the Dyno now, they've given me some figures but I'll wait til they finish before I quote anything!

post-2873-1242619692_thumb.jpg

post-2873-1242620313_thumb.jpg