What Grinds My Gears.

Members dont see this ad
Not that this should turn into a discussion about better drivers....

But is it other people's observations (as well as mine) that females tend to get their licences later in life than males?? :)

Only 'cos we're always driving their arses around :)

Not that this should turn into a discussion about better drivers....

But is it other people's observations (as well as mine) that females tend to get their licences later in life than males?? :)

This would probably jyust be because a lot of girls don't care about cars or driving or anything. Those who live in the city catch public transport, others get other people to drive them around.

Guys love cars so they want a car and they want to drive it so they need their license.

That's what I would assume would be the difference.

Oh oh and they're slower learners than men so they're not as good drivers.

Also they spend a lot more time on the phone. Phone + car = bad driving.

Edited by Lexxi[ke35]

This would probably jyust be because a lot of girls don't care about cars or driving or anything. Those who live in the city catch public transport, others get other people to drive them around.

Guys love cars so they want a car and they want to drive it so they need their license.

You are spot on the money, Lexxi. It's also a reason why female fatalities are lower. ie: nothing to prove, non-experimental (generally).

It is, to an extent, ego and testosterone driven in males. I tell the girls in the classes I do that if you ever want to break up with a boy, or you just want to destroy their ego, say three words: "You can't drive." :)

In general the skill level of girls is actually quite high. They just lack confidence mostly.

Edited by Redwarf

Let me be clear I was only making an observation not trying to antagonise. I have a lot of female friends who have left it until past 25 to get their licence. Just wondered if this was common that's all. It may alter the statistics, it may not. I would say the statistics would me measured by the no. of drivers for each gender and the accident ratio etc.

I can supply those as well. :)

The number of licences issued are almost a 50/50 split. With the year twelve course I run, that would be pretty much on the money, too. Most females get their licences within a near period of when they can. Yes some wait later, but I would call that a minority.

Before anybody asks, km's travelled male/ female is 60/40 split..

I wasn't having a go at you I was just saying what I thought it would be :)

My mum didn't get her licence till I was about 6 or 7 coz her mum scared her out of driving. She's actually a fairly good driver when she's not trying to untangle the earphones for her phone :)

My mum got her license but never drove until she was pregnant with me (around mid to early 20's) because she couldnt walk around very far with me in her stomach area ahaha.

And she can only drive auto, she dosnet want and never has learnt to drive a manual, also she has hit a fair number of cars and gutters over the years.

I believe no matter your age or sex, there is still more to learn, especially when it comes to driving, accidents do happen, some are provoked by testosterone,

The main difference with age is, young people don't have a family to worry about much, young people are fairly selfish when it comes to that.

Older people still take risks, some have experiance to get themselves out of a bad situation, others don't, but an older person with more driving experiance is less likely to put themselves and family into a dangerous position, they know and undrstand the largeness of the consequences and have more driving experiance so are actually able to get themselves out of the situation or put themselves in a position with minimal damage,

I hope this all amkes sense to everyone.

Cheers

Travis

Reminds me of the saying that there is old pilots and bold pilots, but no old bold pilots. Can really say the same about drivers in a way?

Also yes Lexxi, it was the car crash just before Tanunda.

Makes sense to me Travis.

Once you have kids your outlook changes. You are not quite so inclined to take as many risks behind the wheel. Who is going to be a father to your kids when you are dead? Most parents want to be around to watch their kids grow up. I sure do.

I agree there are a hell of a lot of people out there (of all ages) that shouldn't have a license. Personally it wouldn't faze me at all to have compulsory license retesting every 5 years or so. I do think they should have better driver education available to young people in highschool, as well as making subsidised driver training and advanced driver training courses more freely available.

I think a big problem these days is that with all these new "safe" cars coming out, people are more distanced from the actual dynamics of driving. You have all these safety features such as traction control, abs, airbags, and stability controls which gives a false sense of security and places less emphasis on driver skill. If the car was to get sideways the average driver wouldn't have a clue how to go about correcting it.

How many cars these days teach you skills such as double clutching? I used to have an old EH with non synchro first. You either stopped to get it back into first gear, or taught yourself how to double clutch and rev match on downshifts. What about cadence braking? Most cars have abs these days, what happens if you are driving a car without abs and lock the brakes in an emergency situation?

Edited by Felix

I completely agree with everything you said Felix

Cars don't drive themselves, you can have as many advanced safety features as you want, but what happens when they hop into a car that dosent have the safety features? or when for some electronic or mechanical or human problem one or more of those safety systems don't work?

That is when accidnets can happen.

But driver training and awareness is a major factor.

And most young people want to learn how to do advanced driving as they are fun courses!! My dads best mate who is almost 50 recently did an advanced driving course, he loved it and he says he learnt heaps from it and completely recconmends it

I don't even think there is an advanced driving course in my area, i would have to travel to a city for one i think. I have heard rumours there is one in Port Macquarie though.

Travis

All my mate who went and bought nice cars/parents did for them tried to drive mine I either got back in the captian seat or they said to hard couldnt do it.

And one mate has crashed 2 brand new subbies WRX and a wagon thing. Due to he never learn to drive.

I believe if we all started out in old 197X cars even early 80's we would all be better drivers

Also most of my friends say oh my new car will save me in a crash why should I need to know how to drive or they think that there the best and went for 1 driving lesson to get there license so they new if there were slightly wrong so I support the new driver system and 5 year testing best thing government could bring in.

I drive 120km round trip to work and a few times now I have had a close call with a driver who just didnt know how to handle his car.

Cameron

My mates are like oooo when i stuff up the clutch on the first go of there car (hydraulic) and I'm like pfft have a go of my ke70, there like fine!

Stalled 5 times on a slight incline, then stalled twice on a flat. i bunny hopped theres when i first drove it once...

It all comes down to experiance in a way

Travis

I completely agree with everything you said Felix

Yep, ditto.

When i became a dad my whole outlook on my driving changed - less risks, more notice to the speed limits, etc.

I've always taken notice to the other drivers around me and if they put me at risk it was just a case of "what a dick", but now if someone does that while i have the kids in the car its more of a i'd love to pull them out of their car and give them a lesson in fatherhood.....

Cars don't drive themselves, you can have as many advanced safety features as you want, but what happens when they hop into a car that dosent have the safety features? or when for some electronic or mechanical or human problem one or more of those safety systems don't work?

That is when accidents can happen.

That happened to the girlfriends good friend - the airbags didn't go off and he died cause of it. But also on the flip side of it he was acting the dick and doing about 160 or so in a 60 zone. The crash was to be expected, just not the death.

The lesson learnt - don't always have faith in the safety features.