What Grinds My Gears.

Members dont see this ad

WGMG: Emergency docs! i lacerated my thumb on the joint working on my corolla i cut it down to the bone so i went to the Gawler Emergency after hours clinic, waited 3hrs bleeding like a bitch.

problems: waited 3 hours, priority first my ass dude couldn't stop sneezing went in before me, i asked my doctor if id damaged tendons he said no, he then stiched me up sent me off with out a tetanus shot, then went to local gp 10 days later was told i had tendon damage the tendon which runs from knuckle to wrist sent to RAH and had surgery.

so turns out my ED doc had missed the fact that i had cut 100% through my tendon leaving me with now bending movemnt in my thumb, and because i left it for 10 days I'm stuck with a thumb to elbow splint (size of a cast when ya break your forearm) and will need physio therapy and if the ED doc fixed it first i could have got away with being on the side lines for a month not minimum of 2 months.

WGMG: Emergency docs! i lacerated my thumb on the joint working on my corolla i cut it down to the bone so i went to the Gawler Emergency after hours clinic, waited 3hrs bleeding like a bitch.

problems: waited 3 hours, priority first my ass dude couldn't stop sneezing went in before me, i asked my doctor if id damaged tendons he said no, he then stiched me up sent me off with out a tetanus shot, then went to local gp 10 days later was told i had tendon damage the tendon which runs from knuckle to wrist sent to RAH and had surgery.

so turns out my ED doc had missed the fact that i had cut 100% through my tendon leaving me with now bending movemnt in my thumb, and because i left it for 10 days I'm stuck with a thumb to elbow splint (size of a cast when ya break your forearm) and will need physio therapy and if the ED doc fixed it first i could have got away with being on the side lines for a month not minimum of 2 months.

mate, i did a similar thing back in June, sliced across the top of my thumb at the lowest joint (near the nail) severing the tendon 100% and chipping the middle bone a little bit.

i went to our local hospital, got it looked at and cleaned up there and then. went to the big city hospital two hrs later and sat in emergency for 6 hrs.....there was people there already that had been waiting 8+ hrs.

got in eventually, they looked at it, read what the local docs wrote about it, said come back tomorrow morning for day surgery. went back the next morning, surgery was 2+ hrs late (12:30ish instead of 10am) got put under (didn't want to feel them playing with my tendons) and was back home by 7pm the same day.

because the thumb tendon runs from tip to elbow, they put you in a full cast to stop you rotating your wrist, which stretches the tendon. i had 1 week in a half cast (halfway around my arm but from thumb to elbow) than another 4 weeks in a full cast (again from tip of thumb to elbow)

after that it was a month of slow but intense movement and stretching exercises, i got 75% movement and about 50% strength back after a month, then another two months of the same physio. i've got about 90% movement back and 100% strength, there's been nothing i haven't been able to do since the surgery.

for any hand tendon damage, there's no such thing as a short rehab. you were always gonna be out for 2 months minimum (one in cast, one for the initial physio)

personally, i'd talk to the initial doc again, then see some lawyers.....he should've done movement checks to see what you could/couldn't do.

sorry for longwinded post, just figured hearing about first-hand experience (no pun intended) would help you out.

cheers

dF

So did you go postal? :P:

Should of :P

<SNIP/>

When I had my bike crash I went to the emergency room bleeding and holding my motorbike gear, normally bike accidents get a really fast response, think I waited 1.5 hours, too bad if I had a busted spleen.

tendons are actually rather easy to cut, my mate had the same thing, got told nah you'll be fine, was on the middle finger, knuckle that joins to the hand, copped a metal strap to the back of it, they just stitched it up, said your all good, 3 days later he was still in that much pain i told him to go back, went somewhere different where they checked it, tendon was fully cut, even doing all the rehab the finger is still shite in terms of range of movement, makes it pretty hard for him being a sparky and all, but i think going back to work too soon didnt help, but thats what happens when work cover stops paying.

i would suggest doing everything they tell you, cause if you bugger around with it, its not gonna sort itself out.

I cut mine at the second knuckle when i was about 16-17. Can't get the finger fully straight any more - points about 15-20deg down now a days

post-1432-069375600 1292505465_thumb.jpg

If you have a look there's no crease marks where the first knuckle is.

But you do have to admit it makes a good party trick when shown to a couple of drunks and they spend the rest of the night trying to do it.

She gave away about 4 mil worth of shit.

Which is to say she spent about 4 mil on stuff (in Australia, from Australian businesses) to give away (to Australians).

Tourism Australia and the NSW government spent about 4 Mil to get her here.

Now, they made that money back TENFOLD almost instantaneously by selling the sponsorship rights. (Qantas and Maccas most notably)

For their investment, they received an advertising campaign in the USA alone worth the equivalent of 70 mil... Oh and that's before we've even mentioned the other 45 countries that watch her show, or anyone who watches it has even bought a ticket to come here and spend their money. The flow on effects of the 'Oprah Campaign' have been estimated will be in excess of a Billion dollars.

And lets not forget, Tourism Australia's previous two international campaigns (where the bloody hell are ya, etc) Cost over 300 MILLION DOLLARS and achieved sweet f*ck all (in addition to being completely embarrassing).

So yes, I give a shit about the fat bitch coming here. Not because I like the show, but because I live in a town which subsists primarily on tourism. Also, I like money. And (for the moment) there are still plenty of Americans with lots of it who didn't even know we existed before fatty mentioned us. Now, they're thinking about coming here and giving me their money. I like that.

I also like to see my government spending my money wisely... And in this case they have.

Edited by 7shades

Our beloved Anna missed a golden opportunity... She's far too busy selling off QLD to promote it.

Which is why Oprah didn't spend much time up this way, or the Gold Coast...

Y'know, the 2nd and 3rd most popular tourist destinations after Sydney...

Grrrrr