To Turbo Or Quad Throttle

kermit55

Would a side exit exhaust be allowed ??

And have it dumping on the left side just before the back wheel

yeh its allowed but the exhaust has to be a certain distance away from the last opening(door) so on 4doors no mmmmaybe on coupe but on utes and panelvans yep. can't remember the distance

Edited by kermit55

Members dont see this ad
thanks for all the advice. i just want to have something that'll kill most of those v8's at the cruise. ".

haha fat chance!

like the idea of a side exhaust dumping out the side. the only thing is its illegal lol but if i do it ill probs just chop it a lil and hide it under the car instead of it saying "please pull me over now officer lol
i wouldnt but it can be done....

so I'm still unsure but just really want to no what i can get the most power from without spending over 2k. anymore advice will help

2k will get you fast or reliable take your pick :locked:

Edited by styler

2k will get you fast or reliable take your pick

well said!!

taking on v8's huh :)

the benefit of quads is throttle response.. they not going to add a heap of power to a stock engine, so expect to be a lil disappointed.. nice on a twisty race track or mountain pass, but not always going to win straight line drag races against modified bent 8's.

a turbo will definately gain you the most grunt. a supercharger would be less hassle but ultimately not a quick as a turbo.

consider you'll want to install and have tuned an aftermarket ecu to make use of the quads or turbo. without that, you wont see much benefit of the quads or reliability with the turbo. the quads will need an aftermarket or custom intake manifold.. so that could be a couple hundy to start with.

turboing is a whole different story and will cost a lot more... custom exhaust manifold, dump pipe, bigger exhaust, oil feed, oil drain, the turbo itself etc and thats just to bolt it on. then the ecu and tuning so it doesnt blow up. you'll want to replace the bottom end bearings if they a bit worn as they don't last long with high km's on em, especially the bluetop. may have to improve the radiator efficiency.. add an intercooler and bov if running above 8psi. you could do it all on the cheap with 2 grand for sure.. gze efi, second hand turbo with home made piping etc but don't expect total reliability. sorry if i sound like a pessimist.. i just see too many 4age turbo's go wrong

^^^^^ What he said, a turbo vs quads is not a comparison.

Quads may give you an extra 5kw if your existing setup is restrictive, turbo should double your power at minimum.

Also, if your computer uses a map sensor, quads are a bitch to tune. I have a set for the motor I'm building, but have chosen not to use them due to the tuning issues.

I am an NA man all the way. Quads for response and the bloody noise. YUMMMMM!!! I had a 4ag with twin webers hanging off it and the sound of those webers singing away at 7000rpm bouncing off the mountain walls is awesome. Don't get me wrong turbo's are cool and I have had a couple of stupidly fast turbo cars but I still love the crisp response from a well sorted NA. No good for drags though. I am one of these people who prefers (or should I say preferred. It's been a years now thanks to a family and a business) to build an underpowered and well braked car and shoot it through the twisties leaving the big HP boys in my wake.

Why not spend your money on suspension, brakes and tyres??? There is a whole other world there waiting for you to explore. If you ask me bigger brown stains on your passenger's undies once you start learning how to drive properly.

maybe not that much! but definately more than front wheel drive. awd is by far the worst though.

hey irokin just interested in the arias perspective you have as i have considered them but not

actually looked into them fully as a few people seemed to have the same perception and i got

another brand custom made.

Sorry for the late reply completely missed your post. The main problem with arias is the amount of silicon they use in their pistons. If they start to crack, they will continue to crack until a catastrophic failure whereas a low silicon piston the crack will stop before a complete failure. You will still have to replace the piston but that should be all you need to replace. The reason Arias use silicon in their pistons is in an attempt to have them display expansion characteristics somewhat like a standard cast piston. Its your call in the end but other brands like CP are just as cheap.