4a-ge Quote

Mybowlcut

I'm all for doing it myself... but like I said, there's a few things stopping me (as well as one I didn't mention):

- Lack of engine crane

- Scared of stuffing the car up

- How do I put a new gearbox in without using one of those lift things?

I do have another KE70 that I use for work and can use it until I finish the project... which is a plus like someone somewhere said.

I'll ring some importers then I guess? Or should I just go to Ichiban and get it transported to WA?

This is why I'm hesitating haha... so much shit that I don't have the answer to. :hmm:

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

take the 2500 that you would pay the fella to put it in buy a engine crane decent trolly jack and some decent tools give it a go. take your time it will be worth it in the long run. you will have alot of experience with your car who cares if it takes a bit longer.

and search for answers if you get stuck. alot of these conversions have been done so there is heaps of info out there nothing like taking it for a drive after a big rebuild that you have done yourself

good luck mate

Put it this way....

-Buy donor FWD 4AGE Corolla (TwinCam model not the 4AC models) for around $500 (see ebay or other forums, we bought a writeoff with JDM 100kW installed for $500)

-Buy engine crane and other tools for another $500

-Buy gearbox and all other bits and pieces (fuel pump etc)

-Sell off bits from donor car to recoup some costs, send shell to scrap

-Google/Search the net and learn the process of converting FWD to RWD and installation. This has been done many times over, plenty of info out there. Be patient in learning.

-Profit in mechanical knowledge/satisfaction you have gained. No need to be scared, it's all about learning, trial and error.

Start a Projects/Rides thread of your efforts, if you get stuck just post a question and i'm sure someone will help out

The worse that could happen is you lose interest and end up selling the bits and maybe have lost a few hundred dollars.

Ok, I'll do it. :thumbsup: Once I buy the new KE70 I'll start a fresh project thread. Thanks for your encouragement guys. (Y)

Edit: I've decided not to do it. :D Hahahaha. I'm gonna pay the $4500 and have the whole conversion done for me (includes ALL parts that will be needed)... unless I find an already done up ke70 in which case I'll most likely consider buying that instead. :cool:

Edited by Mybowlcut

Now and then you see good SUB $800 4age motors out there for sale so budget say $1000 for the motor. I have given away working T50 gear boxes before so that is cheap. If you run carby on the 4a motor like webbers you will save the cost of the EFI loom etc so save there pending what carby you get..LOL

Gear box install easy bolt it to the back of the motors and when you install the motor the gear box goes in also no lift required. Gear boxes look heavy are light I usually put it on my chest under car lift and slid it in by my self I find that easy. So just give it a shot. Its a rolla there hard to kill.

Cameron

yeah now theres a good deal
Yes I definitely have. Keeping in mind though, it's around $1200 to get a corolla transported from the eastern states to perth. That to me is a bit off-putting since I'm paying over 1 grand just to move it.

all i can say man.. is do it your self and spend the extra time and save the extra money to spend on ur car, not only will you learn alot doing the conversion but if u have any troubles with ur car in the future youll prolly be able to fix it yourself
I think I jumped into this thing too quickly TBH. I saw everyone doing the 4AGE conversions and thought it would be cool to have it done, but I always do things on impulse and it's a bad habit haha.

How can a 4AGE into a ke70 be easier than a 3k to 5k conversion?

- Fuel setup

- Wiring

- Exhaust

- Engine mounts

- Crossmembers

Aren't those only some of the things involved in a 4AGE conversion? I'm not saying I know, I'm just trying to remember some of the things that people have told me I'll need to do... this link for reference.

Besides, how much could a 5k engine cost? At the moment (after I buy the new ke70) I'll be broke pretty much so I won't be able to afford a 4AGE for a while.. that's why I thought I may as well get a cheap 5k and possibly 5speed gearbox from wreckers and learn how to do that.

Edited by Mybowlcut

I personally think it is better for someone new to cars/driving to work with something basic for starters, then as they learn more they can decide what option they want to go in the future. Get a 5K in it, sort the suspension / interior / rims etc. Then when that is all done and you come into some money make your decision on what motor you want to go then..