Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Johno's 86 Corolla Seca

Featured Replies

going well johnno did you have any problems removing the the spoiler from the bootlid i have tried doing mine but the bolt and nut keep turning.

 

wayne

 

if in doubt, gentle persuasion :D

  • Replies 600
  • Views 348.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

  • Author

Wayne - Both boot spoilers that i removed were very easy to take off. If the bolt keeps turning i would say that the bolt has broken inside the plastic housing. The only thing i can suggest it just undo what ever bolts you can and for the other bolts that keep turning just give the spoiler some gentle persuasion as Bowler said.

 

Well i was not going to give up with getting the hardener. I rang 3 different shops and all were closed. I rang my panel beater's mobile countless times till he finally answered. I told him i need some 2k hardener and he said he couldn't help me cos he was out enjoying his public Holiday. I said its an emergency and if he can help there's a slab with his name on it. He then said "when can you come round mate?". So got my hardener in the end for a cool price of a slab of Jimmy :cool:

 

Ps. Rolla is painted. :D

Woohoo it's painted :D now for the proof :cool:

Ps. Rolla is painted. wink.gif

:D there is a god :cool:

man I wish I could do what some of you guys are doing, I'm gonna have to read this website for a few years and try to learn some stuff

hahaha...good on you mate...its all starting to come together nicely :D

  • Author

Well after a very long time.. here are the long awaited pictures :yes:

 

Cleared out all the stuff in garage, swept floors and put drop sheets down

DSC00497.jpg

 

Put everything out in the sun to warm up, It was pretty cold first thing

DSC00498.jpg

 

Sanded the last of the filler on the doors and prep washed them ready to paint

DSC00500.jpg

 

Spot primed bare metal spots with metal etch primer

DSC00508.jpg

 

Here was everything ready to boogie but found out that the harder was dry :dance:

DSC00507.jpg

 

This little tin of hardener cost me 1.5hours driving and a slab of Jimmy but now i have everything ready to paint.

DSC00511.jpg

 

Painted all the backs of the doors and then waited to flip em

DSC00512.jpg

 

After the backs of doors were dry I started painting the fronts. The door pictured was the worst one. Didn't come up too bad :D

DSC00514.jpg

 

All doors and front bumper are primed :cool:

DSC00516.jpg

 

Painted the engine bay first

DSC00522.jpg

 

Then the rest of the car

DSC00527.jpg

 

DSC00528.jpg

 

DSC00530.jpg

 

Rear bumper

DSC00533.jpg

 

DSC00534.jpg

 

I still have to prep and paint the boot and bonnet with 2pack but I'm not out of the woods yet. Still have to guide coat everything, sand it all down with a block and fill whatever comes up on the guide coat then I think the rest will be left for my panel beater. Oh and I owe him a MASSIVE thank you! Ossie, your a ledge, Thanks mate!

Looking good John.

Wayne - Both boot spoilers that i removed were very easy to take off. If the bolt keeps turning i would say that the bolt has broken inside the plastic housing. The only thing i can suggest it just undo what ever bolts you can and for the other bolts that keep turning just give the spoiler some gentle persuasion as Bowler said.

 

Well i was not going to give up with getting the hardener. I rang 3 different shops and all were closed. I rang my panel beater's mobile countless times till he finally answered. I told him i need some 2k hardener and he said he couldn't help me cos he was out enjoying his public Holiday. I said its an emergency and if he can help there's a slab with his name on it. He then said "when can you come round mate?". So got my hardener in the end for a cool price of a slab of Jimmy :cool:

 

Ps. Rolla is painted. :D

 

I know what it feels like looking everywhere for hardner on a sunday, i had to go to 3 stores and the last one i went to had 2 300ml cans left so i grabed both but only ended up buying one because it was $30 a can!!!! big rip of.

 

looks like your ride has come a long way keep up the good work johno, hope u get it done soon:y:

Dude I am so :D

So when are you coming to Qld to do mine. :cool:

Man looking sweet will need to get some tips of you when I'm ready to prime mine :D

Good job it looks good, Does that undercoat get harder to sand after a few days?

  • Author

Thanks for the comments everyone. :(

 

I don't know what its like to sand yet. I'm going to give it a few day's to harden up because i painted it on pretty thick so i could sand it back nice and hopefully fill any tiny little pin holes. My plan of attack is to wait a few days then spray on some speckle coat black acrylic and use that as a guide coat. (Thanks to who gave me that advice) :( Then sand everything back and see what happens.

 

Any questions about painting i'll try and help. I'm great with house painting (11 years exp) but car painting i can only give a little advice on so Pm me if you have questions.

 

Cheers, Johno :)

 

 

EDIT--

Just sanded a little bit just then and it sands real easy and powers up quite a bit. Should come up really good. Now i just want to sand everything. Might sand the front bumper now.

 

When i sanded the crap out of the bumper to get rid of the goose bump texture, when i sprayed it, all the plastic flared up making it all rough. Its like painting Raw MDF. Once you put a coat on it, it gets real rough if you know what i mean.

Edited by Johno

Thanks for the comments everyone. :(

 

I don't know what its like to sand yet. I'm going to give it a few day's to harden up because i painted it on pretty thick so i could sand it back nice and hopefully fill any tiny little pin holes. My plan of attack is to wait a few days then spray on some speckle coat black acrylic and use that as a guide coat. (Thanks to who gave me that advice) :( Then sand everything back and see what happens.

 

Any questions about painting i'll try and help. I'm great with house painting (11 years exp) but car painting i can only give a little advice on so Pm me if you have questions.

 

Cheers, Johno :)

 

 

EDIT--

Just sanded a little bit just then and it sands real easy and powers up quite a bit. Should come up really good. Now i just want to sand everything. Might sand the front bumper now.

 

When i sanded the crap out of the bumper to get rid of the goose bump texture, when i sprayed it, all the plastic flared up making it all rough. Its like painting Raw MDF. Once you put a coat on it, it gets real rough if you know what i mean.

 

 

You shouldnt have to rub the bumper right back, by the time you plastic prime, and then filler prime them (if you did) It should/would've filled in the texture of the bumpers. If you didnt plastic prime the bars thats why they fry'd up like they did. There was a reaction between the raw plastic and the paint you used.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.