Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Johno's 86 Corolla Seca

Featured Replies

I agree that it is a Seca so a less sought after model, but I think you wuld be mad to abandon it after all your hard work.

Afterall it is your car and if it makes you happy, who cares ?

 

I have had many setbacks already with my car, especially in the paint and prep. At times I have had enough with the bloody thing, so not much will happen for a while. Eventually I find myself inspired again, or I get a rev up from mates and I will get back into it.

 

I say give it time and keep at it. :dance:

  • Replies 600
  • Views 348.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You have come pretty far with this one. You know it has no rust. I'd just be worried if you bought another one that looks good from the outside but has rust hidden somewhere or even worse... BOG :dance:

  • Author

All i seem to be getting is shit from my mates about how shit my corolla is and how much better their VX Gen 3 SS or VT.s are. Even my work mates are giving me shit about it. I only have the inspiration from you guys in the club. :dance:

I don't know what to do just yet, I was saving money but now i got to pay for the ford.

 

I know that the rolla is rust free apart from a small little spot under the wheel arch but spray painters don't want to touch it because i did half the prep. Ok so i f@$ked up with the front bumper and did not plastic etch prime it, I;ll just buy a new bumper then. Hey maybe i f@$ked up the whole car, thats what it seems like so i might just get rid of everything. Sorry if i sound negative.. :yes: Its hard to judge peoples emotions on the net. I Like my corolla but it i think i jumped in the deep end and now realized i can't swim.. I dunno :y:

I Like my corolla but it i think i jumped in the deep end and now realized i can't swim.. I dunno :dance:

 

Like I said, at times I have felt the same way.

I think you should at least give it time, because in the end you will regret getting rid of it after all

your hard work.

I agree that it is a Seca so a less sought after model, but I think you wuld be mad to abandon it after all your hard work.

Afterall it is your car and if it makes you happy, who cares ?

 

I have had many setbacks already with my car, especially in the paint and prep. At times I have had enough with the bloody thing, so not much will happen for a while. Eventually I find myself inspired again, or I get a rev up from mates and I will get back into it.

 

I say give it time and keep at it. :dance:

I prefer the seca over the hatch cause its more practical then what the hatch is. And i think its better balanced as well.

 

And i know the feeling of getting disheartened in the whole project thing. I can't really see the point of starting up a thread on my bucket of bolts cause with things like about mid way through last year i finely pulled the motor out of the car, about 4-5 months back the x-member came out and the weekend just gone i finely got around to giving the x-member a bit of clean up.

I walk into the garage and i look at the thing and think "Why bother? and i also ponder the idea of selling it and getting one thats already on the road, but then i start thinking of that i'll just be going back to square one again in that i'll be wanting to take the car off the road so that the power windows can go in, the central locking can go in, the undecided motor and undecided gearbox can go in, the up-graded suspension and brakes can go on, a repaint in the colour i want can be done, better seats, better stereo, better dash. But in the one i've already got i've already fitted the p/windows and c/locking and it was half a bitch to do which means i don't have to do it again.....

Hey dude setbacks come and go, its the pace at which you build a car to know how reliable it will be in the end. There is a saying "rome wasnt built in a day".

 

Id like to see one of two thing depending on No.1 if you want to abandon the project atleast give it a gererous coat of paint and put it all back together as a back up daily. Or No.2 keep going, build it as intended and learn by mistakes like we all have. don't let non corolla loving bogans with commos bring you down.

 

Ive kept the KE25 for over 7 years now she was in a sad state when i found her gave it a spray to keep the rust at bay and now ive got the space to do somthing with her.

  • 4 weeks later...

Hey Johno,

 

I'm a new forum member, would just like to say that you have made such a great effort to strip this beauty down and document your progress so well. I have picked up some tips and tricks for startin on my own 86 Ae82 rolla and i am keen to follow your progress and put what i learn from you and many others into my future builds. Thanks for restoring a great Rolla keep up the effort, don't give up on your DREAM! it keeps not just you going but all those other DIY'ers who are struggling to get the job done right.

 

Thanks again and really hope we get to see more in this thread really soon :P

 

See ya round Bro!

 

post-8299-1250069512_thumb.jpg

  • Author

Thanks for all the support, :y:

 

I have decided not to pay 5k on a paintjob, instead i will be painting it with a few mates from work. As i am a house painter and 2 mates i work with are too, we have decided to get together on a Saturday and give it a good hit in about a month or so and get it painted.

 

I got a new clutch, can't remember if i said so before but its a second hand Exeedy heavy duty one. Once the car is painted the 4age is getting send off to my mechanic and new bits will be installed. I think that once its painted i will get inspired to get it on the road. Unbelievably its still registered. I payed $600 a few months ago for it.

 

Anyway, there is still hope for this thread and the car. Hopefully i will have decent pics for you all soon!

 

Cheers, Johnny! :)

Thanks for all the support, :y:

 

I have decided not to pay 5k on a paintjob, instead i will be painting it with a few mates from work. As i am a house painter and 2 mates i work with are too, we have decided to get together on a Saturday and give it a good hit in about a month or so and get it painted.

Good stuff :)

 

Make sure you get a few Tack rags before you start painting. They'll pick up any lint, dirt and other general crap that can stuff up a paint job

Good to hear mate, get stuck into it.

good stuff!! i kno what its like to feel like its not worth it but ay!! in the end the car will be how YOU want it!!

  • Author

A few new pics of work I did on the rolla this afternoon

Just sprayed a black speckle coat on everything then block sanded it back with 400grit wetrub. I found a few dents that i had missed before i undercoated everything but at least its progress ay?

Anyway.. PICS! :P

 

DSC01081.jpg

 

DSC01082.jpg

 

DSC01083.jpg

 

DSC01086.jpg

 

DSC01087.jpg

 

DSC01088.jpg

 

DSC01092.jpg

 

 

Since the carport tarp shreded to bits in the wind this is its home now

DSC01093.jpg

OOOO, good to see some progress. pity bout the carport although for a temporary one, it's done alright. we do sell replacement roof covers, just no the sides, although nothing a few shillings and some standard tarps can't fix.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.