Redwarf

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Okay. Update time.

Took it to Rockhampton for a rally where the car misbehaved somewhat. Handled like a dog, no turn in at all until a hit a large rock, bending the lh chassis rail, and giving it 24mm of toe out. Pity about the 1.5 deg of castor in the wrong direction!

Got car straightened out, lengthened the castor arms and went to KCF 2. Had a good run, car turned in a fashion, but was hampered by gear/ diff ratio issues. 10 th O/r, 3rd in class. Very happy with the result, as I didn't expect it to be this quick this early.

Have now got hold of a pair of Lower control arms (thanks Simon!)which we are in the process of rose jointing to help out the front end some more. My 4.77 diff gears arrived the other day from NZ (thanks Tony!) and will go into the car next week.

Car was dyno'd on Monday night to try and pick up some mid range. Dynoman suggested a change in extractor design, as my 4-1's are apparently mid range unfriendly. After next rally I think. Final results were 105hp @ 7000 rpm. With a 30% drivetrain loss, that's around 150 flywheel neddies. I'm happy with that for now, but hopefully i'll pick up some mid range with the pipes, as it only has 60hp @ 4000.

Still sorting it all out.........

Can I get a couple of movies hosted somewhere? :P

Edited by Redwarf

Thats So cool ! :P

Its interesting to see, on the first video, you cut across the apex of the corner, find a very soft spot in the middle of the corner, bog down a lil, which kind of sends you off to the far side of the road while exiting the corner; eventually the rear wheels get good grip again on less soft ground, and *oh hello, gripping again* - spit, time to go straight, and exits corner.

I also noticed on the 2nd video, that you tried to *avoid* the soft spot as best as possible, but the front wheels turned still ended up in it, and *wha wao, front wheels going through soft sand, rear wheels then follow directly & also go through = Boggy Dust storm. By the time the car got over the bog area, you exited the corner in a much better position, apposed to last time where you were rather close to the embankment on the other side of the road.

I'm not sure if you had a 3rd attempt at it, but if i had to give it a shot (not that ive got any experience) it would be interesting to see what outcome what result in getting the rear out a bit later into the corner, while still going about it like you did on the 2nd attempt (same racing line), spraying the crowd a bit using the outside edge of the corner a bit more (Rearwheels), trying to keep front wheels out of that boggy mess in the middle point of the corner; exiting also, as you did in video 2.

don't mind my wacky rally comments, your driving always makes me smile, ill never forget my rides up at pat's in the ol 20. That was one of the best days in my life :rocknroll:

Rallying Rocks :rocknroll:

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Hmmmm. Been a while since I've been in here.

Haven't touched the car since Galllangowan (last rally of last year) so a bit of digital extraction has been happening in Redwarf Motorsport HQ.

As anyone who has talked to me since I got this beasty will know the handling both sucks and blows on this car. I've found out why. Pulled the front struts out and found the most basic Pedders shock that Centrelink can buy residing inside them. That now explains a lot. All that I can now say is " g0t Bilsteins?"

post-33-1141726676_thumb.jpg

Yep, I spent some cash and have a pretty set of 32mm shaft upside-down shocks for the front, and a set of Commodore wagon shocks for the back. Together with my adjustable lower control arms, things should be a lot better.

New vs Old front shock. (Nice feet Idiot)

post-33-1141726732_thumb.jpg

Rears. I think the old one may already have been a Commodore item.

post-33-1141726821_thumb.jpg

Edited by Redwarf

Further update.

Gearbox now at Hart Transmissions, along with my 4.5 diffs for the EVO1. (Yep, I'm getting that going as well!). Gearbox was having issues with 4th gear; hard to find, and hard to get out of. It was okay in stage, as it went into gear whether it liked it or not :D but a PITA on transports.

Also finished (finally) my adjustable lower arms. (Disclaimer: yes, I know they're not legal.)

post-33-1142237204_thumb.jpg