2t-g Into A Ke30

I have a '78 KE30 with a 3K-C engine, 4Spd Manual and am looking for a bit of an power upgrade

i thought about a 2T-G beacase i heard that they will bolt straight into the KE30 engine bay without modifications, what is the truth behind this?

Also from what i've heard the 2T-G engine never came out in Australia (I'm from SA btw) if this is so how hard is it to find one, and what price range will i be in?

if anyone could with these questions, or warn me about any other major problems i mite find. it would be very much appreciated! cheers

Members dont see this ad

In my opinion....................don't bother!

they don't bolt straight into ke30's, custom engine mounts, you also would need a t50 box, hydraulic clutch setup, new radiator....rah rah rah.

the heads were never an aussie production item, only import.

personally i'd go something more common, its almost impossible to get parts for these heads, trust me i've been through it all before, these engines are also becoming like dinosaurs, at the end of the day its entirely up to you on what you'd like to do to your car,

Now after bagging out on them, if you have the money and time, yeah i guess. they don't go too bad when set up right, but i guess thats the same with everything,

just my 2 c,

cheers phatke30!

Edited by phatke30

don't the 2T's come in RWD celica's?

thought they were common as cows..

why do you need another radiator?

not difficult at all. your in SA. i know a workshop thats done the conversion a few times.

he's putting a 3TC in my KE next month.

Plenty of celicas at the wreckers here and there, just use the drive line and bit outta one of them or even a 3T from a T-18.

If its an engine swap the 1st thing usally to tacle is the engine mounts and gear box mounts easy.

no conversion is without mods, but corollas are the easiest starting point

Ok I can help here. Heres a few pointers that I have found from putting a 3TC into a KE30.

1) You might not need to change radiator at all. Mines brand new and will be fine for the 3TC. However with the top radiator hose you will need a custom cooling pipe to reach it. Heres a picture from a 2TG in a AE71 (look in the thread).

AE71 2TG

2) You will need custom engine mounts. I would suggest you try and get it so it slightly angles towards the passenger side. This is due to the fact that your running twin carbies. If you don't you 'will' have clearance issues.

3) You may also have clearance issues with the master cyclinder. I was advised by Toyota (Peter Kittle I think) to use an RA60 master cyclinder. It worked great as it is really short.

4) Use a crossmember from a KE55 manual and a crossmember from some T50 ran car (I used a T18 one) so they engineer can make your custom mount. My mechanic did it really neatly and it took him bugger all time.

5) Hydraulic conversion can be done quite easily. My mechanic used the stock pedal box and shaved a little from the clutch side of things to fit the master cyclinder. A round hole and two bolt holes will need to be made, but its not hard yet again.

6) Are you running electronic or points? Electronic is better, but can be a litte hard to come by.

7) Use a T50 with a middle shifter point, not an ending shifter point. Use a T50 from a TA22 as it will go in the stock shifter hole perfectly.

8) If you need parts talk to 'Sleeka Spares' in Pooraka I think. Dave should be the guy to talk to as he helped me out plently with parts for T series engines.

9) 2TG's can be found, but they will need to be rebuilt with new gaskets at least. This can be costly, at an estimate around the $500 mark or less for gaskets alone. At least this is what a mate paid near for 18RGEU full gasket kit recently.

10) You may want to think about a brake or suspension upgrade as the 2TG will benefit from it.

11) You may need to customize your tailshaft. A KE30 stock tailshaft fits, but with my personal conversion we cut off 2mm for slight shaft play.

12) Second hand extractors usually aren't to hard to source, but brand new extractors will generally be custom made or around the $300 + mark. You would be looking at a 2" system.

There is a bit to modify, as there is to any engine conversion, but it will be well worth it. Big thing is though make sure you have the money for it! Roughly have around $2000 I would say to cover everything. It could be more, it could be less depending on how much you do off it on your own.

If you need anymore help just ask as I have played around a fair bit with T series engines lately :cool:

Cheers Fusion

EDIT: Just remebered seeing this in the trading post. Not a bad price at all. If you have some spare money maybe look into getting it port and polished as the 2TG will love it ;)

2TG Trading Post

Edited by fusion

I'm 90% sure u don't need custom engine mounts

ta22 will do

as when you put a 3t in a ke70 ive been told (by someone whos done it) that you use ta22 mounts and t18 rubbers,

thus the same would apply to a ke30-55 crossmember

Yeah thats what I ended up using. However I do suggest if you want to clear the brake cyclinder, that you make sure you get it done properly with a engine dummy fit before making it all up and finalised. Otherwise you won't like it when it comes to clearing the gap :cool:

it can be mounted with ta22 mounts or similar but the engine doesnt sit right, its on a slight angle and too far

back if i remember correctly. this makes it a pain to change gearboxes as the top bellhousing bolts become

difficult to get out unless you use the tilt method and a long extension on a impact gun.

actually here you go: courtesy of jonny rochester

t series conversion info

Cheers guys for all your help, you've really helped clear a few things up! i thought that it would be a bit strange if it would just bolt straight in without mods but thats why you ask these questions.

So from what I'm hearing i can use ta22 engine mounts but i would be better of using custom jobs coz otherwise i mite end up hitting the master cylinder?

also i'll need a T50gearbox if i don't want to make another hole for the shifter, and the stock tailshaft will fit in fine?

and at 2T-G engine will be hard to come by unless i was prepared to do a rebuild on one?

My radiator at the moment is looking pretty shagged so i'll probably invest in a nother one of them, and the suspension (pertiularly in the rear) is pretty dead i was just gunna retention the the back leafs (as the're currently flat) but i mite look at somthing else.

cheers again for your help guys, if you have any other comments or tips let me know.

I have a 2T-G in my ke35, it came with engine mounts on the motor so all i did was slotted it in! I used a BW diff and a ke55 tail shaft which slotted in fine! I only had to make up a new gearbox cross member!

An old ke30 wreck (right off) that i had once had a 2t-g in it. Its old owner just used the standard ke30 x-member. The only problem with it was that the motor was sitting over to the right, closer to the master cylinder - problematic for the rear air-cleaner.

An old ke30 wreck (right off) that i had once had a 2t-g in it. Its old owner just used the standard ke30 x-member. The only problem with it was that the motor was sitting over to the right, closer to the master cylinder - problematic for the rear air-cleaner.

so the 2T-G engine still fitted in didnt it? its was just a bastard to change the rear air cleaner, it was'nt hitting against the master cylinder while driving or anything?

It was decades ago that i had the thing so i couldn't really you much more about it, expect for the previous owner sat the motor on the the standard ke30 x-member and used ta22 engine mounts. He said something about the gearbox x-member but i don't remember what he said about it, but what i do remember is that he couldn't use the ke30 one so he was using rope to keep the box up (which does go a long way to explaining why he wrote the car off)

Have a look at jonny rochester's site

But i don't think the tail shaft was shortened..... don't quote me on that

Edit - yes, the motor did fit.

Edited by towe001

It was decades ago that i had the thing so i couldn't really you much more about it, expect for the previous owner sat the motor on the the standard ke30 x-member and used ta22 engine mounts. He said something about the gearbox x-member but i don't remember what he said about it, but what i do remember is that he couldn't use the ke30 one so he was using rope to keep the box up (which does go a long way to explaining why he wrote the car off)

Cheers for that, its sounds like that's what ill have to end up doing if i decide to go ahead with it, although i mite use sumthing a little bit better than a rope to keep the box up, ha ha