Supercharger Vs Turbo

WinKE55

I see that there is a bit of a craze on either Turbo or Supercharging a old school Rolla. I like either, though prefer a Supercharger in my eyes. Though Turbo is always good.

The most common setup I have seen is the standard turbo on the 4k or 5k engines. Though I have heard of Supercharging as well.

My father reckons people are choosing the turbo setup more as it is easier, and people more follow that craze..

I was thinking of doing a SC14 on my 4k.. Though people say that 4k is a little thin if I am getting it bored to 30thou.. But then I see that there is already pre-made turbo manifolds up for sale.. so turbo seems easier.. but I want best performance wise hands down.

Do you get more power out of a turbo than say an SC14 or something?

Would YOU choose a Supercharger or a turbocharger? And why?

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand from what I've read on various forums that the S/C gives a linear curve in power to redline as opposed to a turbo which comes on boost at a certain RPM through to redline.

A S/C has to use power to make power so to speak, by having the motor drive the pulley to create boost, whereas a turbo gets free power by recirculating exhaust emissions to force air into the cylinders :poke:

That would be the main reason why people choose Turbo over S/C.

You will without a doubt get more power out of a turbo, compared to an sc14.

The sc14 would be easier to install IMO.

Superchargers are never as efficient as turbo's, as they take power to make power.

I wouldnt bother with either unless its efi.

I personally will go the sc14, its easier,

and we both know that even if you double your power,

the car still wont be fast.

So if you do either option, do it for fun, rather than expect to have a street racer.

a turbo gets free power by recirculating exhaust emissions to force air into the cylinders :poke:

Just to clarify a turbo doesn't actually recirculate exhaust gases back into the cylinders. Perhaps a better wording is that it extracts the waste energy from the exhaust gases and recirculates that energy.

Supercharger Definately.

So much better to drive, especially on the street.

You don't go from no power to all power in the blink of an eye.

You don't have to be wringing their neck to get anything out of them.

Its a much more linear curve with a blower.

Look at all the top fuel dragsters, Supercharged.

Set up well, they are the quickest..

don't bother on a carby'd motor though.

Most of the pros and cons have been stated, turbo is probably going to be more expensive to set up initially. But it will be more economical than a s/c once its going, not that crosses most peoples radars. Superchargers are good for power off idle ("almost instant response"), however if you correctly match the turbo to the engine you can still come close to this with a turbo. It will be horses for courses though, all up to you and the rev range you want to operate in.

Put very well.

Look at all the top fuel dragsters, Supercharged.

Set up well, they are the quickest..

Ha, Do you go to the drags much?

Without a supercharger blowing air into the engine at idle the engine wouldnt run, A topfuelers supercharger is also a part of the engine where as if you bolt a supercharger onto a everyday car it will give it a power boost but is not needed.