benpedder

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you don't take off and mask up the lhs vent is it not possible that paint can get through the vent resulting in some overspray on the inside of the rear window? Just seems a little dodgy to not take off two simple 'vents' when painting after all the effort you've gone through. :dance:

Also are you going to paint under the lhs vent where the fuel cap is?

As for the vents themselves you could always sand off the dull blue so they'll be nice and chrome, or just take them off and respray them blue seperately. :blush:

Cheers, Ben.

so umm a bit of update. but not on car. i wont be able to do work to it soon as thismorning on way to school a went to cross street to walk towards LC (the street with fire station on it) and i kinda got hit by a car :dance: the gay thing about it though the stupid :sob: hit me when i was crossing at a green man :wink: so spent most of today in hospital but its al good nothing broken :cool: got a sprained ankle or something and it hurts so much to walk on and i can't move my elbow at all really :P

Gee's man, can't believe you got hit by a car but its good to hear you didn't get hurt too badly.

Your vents, I would say the only thing I can think of is paint stripper... I don't think it will damage the chrome but if it did, you got nothing to loose because you were going to repaint them from the start and sanding the paint off will defiantly damage the chrome. But i really don't think it will do anything to it anyway.

I say go for it and give it a shot, just be careful with paint stripper. Its nasty stuff so make sure you wear heavy rubber gloves.

Get paint stripper and put it on really thick. Once the paint stripper has worked (about 2 hours i think) get a high pressure water cleaner to wash off the stripper. You might have to repeat the process again because there will always be a bit of paint left on there from the first time.

Hope it helps...

Johno.

was just wondering, for when the time comes, how wouldi go about making a custom type dash? is there anything i would need to know other than making it fit in properly? is it very difficult? of course wont be doing this anytime soon but i just want to know anything i can about it. ;)

thanks

and your thoughts on my idea of just priming it then putting it back together, driving it then painting it in summer when it WILL be warm enough to make the paint awesome?? :'(

remembering I'm on my L's with 0 hours :jamie: since october last year.

Edited by benpedder

primer is porous

So will soak up water. don't let the primer sit untill summer.

In my experience paint stripper takes way less then 2 hours, you can see it start to

remove the paint within a minute or so. Be careful, if you leave it to long the

paint just rehardens on the surface. (Although this can easily be solved by putting more on)