More Powa!

Rich_Rolla

I have a '87 Corolla hatch. I love it so far. But! I need more power. It seems to lack speed pick-up, I struggle to get to 80 uphill, and as I do a lot of hills driving I need a bit of grunt.

I don't want to spend a awful lot. So idea's are appreciated.

Thanks, Tim.

Members dont see this ad
I have a '87 Corolla hatch. I love it so far. But! I need more power. It seems to lack speed pick-up, I struggle to get to 80 uphill, and as I do a lot of hills driving I need a bit of grunt.

I don't want to spend a awful lot. So idea's are appreciated.

Thanks, Tim.

Simple.Turbo Charge.

Usually more power means less economy man.

Just get a better cam, port and polish, maybe extractors with a good exhaust system mandrel bent etc.

Usually things are not cheap to get performance, though heard cam re-grind are around $100

Good luck

don't bother spending money on cams and headwork and exhaust for your motor. just love the good fuel economy you get from it.

save your money and buy a car which already has the power you want, or be prepared to spend 'an awful lot' to get decent results.

my 2c.

don't bother spending money on cams and headwork and exhaust for your motor. just love the good fuel economy you get from it.

save your money and buy a car which already has the power you want, or be prepared to spend 'an awful lot' to get decent results.

my 2c.

Yeah. I've bought this car as my work car (I am spending a bit of money on looks and comfort things). But I'm used to driving a 4 litre Falcon which has a bit more kick in it. I guess I just gotta get used to it.

I was just hoping there was something small I could do to get a little bit more power.

they would be heaps of small things to get little bit of power, but on their own would they be noticable? and if you did a couple of things, would it be worth the cost?

True. I'm only driving this till mid next year when I can afford a BA XR6. So I guess I should consider this a bit more.

Going from a Falcon to Corolla, you're going to notice a loss in torque.

Personally, a 4A-C is about a s good as a boat anchor.

If you want a bit more grunt, look at a 4AGE conversion and yes, there is plenty of info floating around the net on whats required :fuzz:

Exhaust, Weber or sports filter for the stock carb, remove the exhaust butterfly or stop it from shutting, oil and plugs change, carby cleaner through the engine, adjust the ignition timing. :fuzz:

Edited by 200Boy

Yeah. I've bought this car as my work car (I am spending a bit of money on looks and comfort things). But I'm used to driving a 4 litre Falcon which has a bit more kick in it. I guess I just gotta get used to it.

I was just hoping there was something small I could do to get a little bit more power.

I got a EL falcon too, Lotsa powa!!

You should have got a little more power from your corolla with the 2" exhaust.

You just have to face the fact that 4ac engines are not that quick. They do the job though.

I actually prefer driving my rolla even though its much slower.

I got a EL falcon too, Lotsa powa!!

You should have got a little more power from your corolla with the 2" exhaust.

You just have to face the fact that 4ac engines are not that quick. They do the job though.

I actually prefer driving my rolla even though its much slower.

Yeah. I can feel a bit of difference. I guess now that I'm changing friends and trying to restart my youth I will be doing a lot less hills traveling.